Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone need your help which is the best spoked or cast wheels for the tiger,my m8 has a 2001 tiger and swears by the spoked wheels not sure about the inner tube and selection of tyres??are there any other Triumph models where the wheels will fit straight onto the tiger,maybe go super motard!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I bought my 955 tiger new in 2001,i'd already 2 885i's before that,the 19" front wheel just wasn't my thing,bought a secondhand rear hub and had 51/2" rim laced on the back so it would take a 180 rear tyre and and a 17" rim laced on a new hub that i aquired!!!,they worked fine,but the only use this tiger gets is long distance european travel,and i always felt the tubes could be an achilles heal,i did carry a spare for the rear as it's an oddity and being on some back road along the Polish boarder not the kind of thing that is common to get hold of.

While i never had the slightest problem,went for a pair of Dymags in the end,fit straight in and obviously tubeless.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I haven't riddin a spoked wheel Tiger, but I imagine the ride is about the same. I love cast wheels much better than spokes in general. Tubeless tires are much easier to repair a flat on, and much easier to clean.

Block

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The front suspension on the spoked wheel bikes is also a bit softer which doesn't suit everyone. It;'s very easy to lower the eralier bike by 30mm or so. The eccentric chain adjusters are (IMO) superior.

And it's perfectly possible and safe to convert the spoked wheels to tubeless - mine have about 15,000 trouble-free miles now. But of course I couldn't suggest anyone else did this......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts