Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are automobile drivers more receptive to lane splitters in the UK or in California?
Is lane splitting legal just in the UK or all of western Europe?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ride all day long in Southern California, mainly the beach cities. People here a re very cool about lane splitting, often moving their cars over to let me through.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I ride all day long in Southern California, mainly the beach cities. People here a re very cool about lane splitting, often moving their cars over to let me through.
Yup same here. People are people so you always run in to a jerk or two. But for the most part people are good about giving you that extra inch or two.

Speaking of which though, the mirrors on the Thruxton R SUCK for splitting. I love that they work well, and even like how they look, I just need them tighter in about 1" on either side. Wonder if I could bend them in?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I lane split everyday in Nor-Cal and for the most part people are very nice and make room.

The only issues are the people on their cell phones that don't see me coming or ignore me when I am sitting between lanes next to them because I can't get by without taking their mirror off :grin2:

Most of the cars move over and let me by and are very nice. Not sure what I would do without lane splitting. I guess just cut in/out of traffic which is way more dangerous. There are a few good things about California politics and this is one of them. For some reason the CHP likes lane splitting :wink2:

J

·
Registered
44 Posts
Filtering/Lane splitting

Filtering is legal in the UK if traffic is stopped/slow moving however in the real world, some drivers don't mind but there are a lot who will do there damnedest to impede you. (never mind the ones on the phone or texting in their own little worlds).

France Iv'e found for a country where filtering / lane splitting is officially against the law, is very good for "Proceeding using a bikes speed, acceleration, and maneuverability" with the majority of French drivers giving more than an odd inch to allow you to proceed.

I ride every day, don't own a car and would filter as needed (I was once stopped by Traffic Branch cops on bikes and accused of extreme filtering?)

Filtering sensibly is the way ahead, but doing 70mph/125kph between two lines of stationary/slow moving traffic is not filtering its being a d*ckhead who if you haven't been in an accident, no doubt I'll be watching you on Youtube in the near future.
>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
the laws on lane splitting differ from state to state in australia how ever in south oz their looking at legalising
in one form or another but most motorcyclists do it any way and personally ive had no dramas with police or motorists

·
Registered
107 Posts
I learned to ride in and around the bay area, and its legal so most people dont mind and make room , just do it as the law says when traffic is down to like 10 mph then you can squeeze through at 10 0r 15 mph faster then the surrounding traffic. Now that i live in NYC it illegal everyone knows it, and they purposefully cut you off even bleep their horns at you, curse you etc etc, as if your getting away with something ,The how dare you get ahead of me mentality is retarded.
But remember folks we are riding triumphs now, we don't lane split , we Filter ,

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
the laws on lane splitting differ from state to state in australia how ever in south oz their looking at legalising
in one form or another but most motorcyclists do it any way and personally ive had no dramas with police or motorists
yep legal here in NSW when traffic slow or stopped. The law was changed to allow it after police ran trials in Sydney a few years ago that found no increase in accidents or other issues.

If the laws change to allow it, it is important that there is advertising so all road users are aware that the law has changed.

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,833 Posts
My favourite was in almost stationary traffic and a car pulled so close to a piece of road furniture he thought I could no way get past . I was on a Yamaha ysr 80 just reached one hand down under the seat the other on one handlebar stud up turned the bike 90 degrees and went the other side once I was past him safely I waved a fond farewell, the truck driver behind us both nearly fell out of his cab laughing .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here I can lane split, overtake on the inside, outside, or even drive down the wrong side of the road (yes - as advised by the Thai Highway code when turning across traffic) but it still doesn't stop the bastardos from all trying to kill me!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Speaking of which though said:
Ha! let me know if you want to sell them :wink2:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Legal in Portugal, and it's one of the best reasons to ride a bike in the city - you cut through the traffic like a knife. People are pretty cool about it, and the vast majority of peeps will move over to let you through when they're stopped at the lights. I think it's legal in Spain too, though I'm not 100% sure. And in Greece too I think - at least if it isn't nobody gives a damn, because everyone does it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Here in Texas they will intentionally try to get in your way or yell at you, they can't stand to see you get ahead of them.
Just about covers car drivers in Australia,[in Queensland anyway,] too.
Many are good and will move over or assist you but then there's the penile challenged pea brains who think "Why should bikes get an 'advantage' over me?" and do everything they can to stop or impede you.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Here I can lane split, overtake on the inside, outside, or even drive down the wrong side of the road (yes - as advised by the Thai Highway code when turning across traffic) but it still doesn't stop the bastardos from all trying to kill me!
Wow,I'm in Thailand ATM but I never knew it was legal to drive down the wrong side of the road,even though they ALL do it.I thought it was just taking the easy[lazy] way rather than travel an extra 100yds

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ha! let me know if you want to sell them :wink2:
Might take you up on that, dig how they look and they work great. But I keep scraping em' on car mirrors. >:)

I had Rizoma's on my last bike. Looked awesome but didnt work well at all. So for what they cost wont be getting those again. Looking on Amazon for some cheapies now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts