Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for those that use the K&N oil filters with the nut on them, I had one explode/split on me going up a mountain pass in France a couple of weeks ago. By sheer luck one of my mates was behind me and managed to get my attention before turning into a hairpin, which could have lead to a completely different outcome.

I pulled over to white smoke and to watch the remaining oil dump out of the engine.
oil1 by Nivag, on Flickr

Cause we were so remote and couldn't get a phone signal I decided to freewheel the bike back down to the last town and get help there. So after using babywipes to clean my wheels as much as possible and using dirt to clean the road off I went about 10KM back down. Had to get a tow on some of the flat spots.
Once in town two of my mates went off to find a garage which turned out to be a Husqvarna and Yamaha dealer, I great result as I knew the oil filter was the same as my FZ6, a 204 !! Bought a new Yamaha OEM one and replacement oil and did a roadside oil/filter change...
Back on the road within 90mins, well I was riding like I had Miss Daisy on the back for a while till I had scrub cleaned the oil off the rear tyre but made it to the hotel which was over 2 mountain passes away. That was interesting to say the least, go to say riding a dirt bike makes you more comfortable when a bike is squirming underneath you :D

Anyway, the bike completed the rest of the trip to Barcelona for the MotoGP and back to the UK - 3220 miles in total

Here's photos of the failed filter, for reference I only hand tightened this on and only use the nut to remove it as it's a pain to get to unless you use a screwdriver to remove it. Which I'll be doing in the future.
oil2 by Nivag, on Flickr
oil3 by Nivag, on Flickr

I have been in touch with K&N and they have responded regarding this. From what I've researched, I'm not the only one this has happen to.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Happened to me also.
The stupid nut bit gets hammered by stones and tears the spot welds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Their use of a thicker canister wall provides extra strength and durability, reducing the risk of damage from loose stones, etc, and increasing 'burst strength'. It's heavy duty construction will withstand higher oil pressures typically found in many racing conditions, while the high-flow rate helps reduce the loss of pressure through the filtering process when the engine is circulating oil at high GPM rates!"
Hmm, me thinks they either need to redesign the filter or change the wording of their advert.
Never used one, sounds like I won't in future.
Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've read about this happening SO MANY TIMES, including elsewhere on this forum. It beggars belief that K&N are still producing this filter despite the major liability issues associated with it - both property damage and personal injury.

NEVER EVER EVER buy these K&N filters with the nut, they have split open so many times. It's extremely well documented at this point.

edit: Here's another very recent thread of exactly this issue with this exact filter design:
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/835913-beware-of-k-and-n-oil-filters-on-your-triumph.html

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Before I'd heard of any issues with them, I tried one of those filters on my Speed Triple and had no trouble, I'll never be tempting fate again though. The nut makes them easy to remove, sure, but... I don't really think road grit hammering on the filter is the cause. It's plainly a manufacturing defect. Accessing a stock style filter is harder but that very problem is what shields them from even the worst rock, car part, chunk of fire-wood, 2x4, or whatever a rider may come upon on the road. Thank's for another reminder to avoid K&N.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Filter wrench - do it right the first time

The "Easier to remove" argument is totally bogus - spend a few dollars on a filter wrench (that fits 80% of all motorcycle filters) and be done with it.

I just changed out the oil and filter on my 16 Thrux, used the same wrench and the Triumph stock filter. This is a worst case scenario for a $18 filter to crap out and ruin your ride, not to mention all the money and hassle of dealing with the stoppage. The filter wrench takes a standard 3/8" drive rachet or the like, I used a torque wrench on mine to follow the manual exactly.

The Triumph stock filter was from Triumph of Seattle / I have found them to be a reliable source, and not overpriced like some re-sellers.
Too bad that K&N has sold a lot of us a defective item; they have been around for decades and should know better than to let an un-proven item to be sold under their name.

Weedie

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I use the Pur-One from Purolator on my '12. So far so good.
Are they still working? Heard rumours (on here I think) the new ones didn't fit too well as the base plate was now convex instead of concave and they leak?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Given that there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of similar threads around the 'net over the last couple of years, I felt I had to email K&N asking why they insist on continuing to sell the filter. I also sent the same message to the CEO on Linked In. Predictably I was ignored, but when one of these filters ultimately kills someone (and it's only a matter of time) at least it will be on record that K&N knew, and they'll have no excuse.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Are they still working? Heard rumours (on here I think) the new ones didn't fit too well as the base plate was now convex instead of concave and they leak?
I have the '12 Speed Triple and I use this one: Purolator PL14612 PurolatorONE Oil Filter. Based on the recommendation of someone here. I also use a crush washer. Works great. Zero leaks.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Wow........ this is an absolutely absurd situations ! what ever the reason for the failure is ....it can be countered by stating that spin on O ring sealed filters should have the O ring lightly lubed with engine oil then spun on until contact is felt then tightened by HAND ONLY - theres NO good reason for a stupid spanner fit of any sort what so ever. That my personal take on this. Cheers Lee

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It?s only those manufactured between March and September 2016, check your filter code dates, ill use mine since it isn?t in the recall dates

1 - 14 of 14 Posts