Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with the lens of the speedometer cracking around the edges? Granted my SM is '18 but it just came off the show room floor a month ago with only 35 miles....

I apologize if this is a repeated topic, i searched and did not find any existing conversations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mines not cracked but I have 2 foggy drip lines where it somehow got condensation under the glass. I have no idea how water got in there. I need to pop the lens off to clean it but haven’t yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had the lens on my 2018 speedo get tiny cracks. it was replaced under warranty and the second one was cracking after a month or so. it was replaced again after the dealer did some wrangling with the distributor. the guy at the dealer thought the windshield (purchased from them) was acting like a magnifying glass and concentrating heat on the lens. after the second speedo i ordered a piece of black vynl and fitted it just behind the windshield to block the suns rays. i haven't had any more trouble for the past year. i posted about the problem here but got no response. i even emailed triumph and got a nice reply stating they had no other complaints like mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey yeah, dealer said warranty will cover it, just waiting on the appointment. I have small black abs flyscreen, so I know there is nothing getting through to be magnified... I believe they didn’t engineer enough gap to allow for expansion for temperature changes. But who knows as long as they are willing to deal with it, then so am i...

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm not convinced that 'the windshield did it" but this one has lasted so far. as warm weather riding approached, we'll see. i think there is some sort of design problem. i got a nice email back from triumph pretty much denying the had any such problems. i don't want to buy one of these speedos out of warranty... about $5-$600.00

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hey yeah, dealer said warranty will cover it, just waiting on the appointment. I have small black abs flyscreen, so I know there is nothing getting through to be magnified... I believe they didn’t engineer enough gap to allow for expansion for temperature changes. But who knows as long as they are willing to deal with it, then so am i...
I have three small cracks in my Daytona 675 tacho lens which are definitely not from any impact, I can only assume it's expansion and contraction of the housing causing stress cracks.
Good that they are replacing it under warranty but for anybody who is worrying about it happening out of warranty then you wouldn't need to replace your clocks, somebody on here has already replaced one of the lenses with an aftermarket product, it was a flat off the shelf lens rather than a convex one but it didn't look out of place and it cleared the needle ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have three small cracks in my Daytona 675 tacho lens which are definitely not from any impact, I can only assume it's expansion and contraction of the housing causing stress cracks.
Good that they are replacing it under warranty but for anybody who is worrying about it happening out of warranty then you wouldn't need to replace your clocks, somebody on here has already replaced one of the lenses with an aftermarket product, it was a flat off the shelf lens rather than a convex one but it didn't look out of place and it cleared the needle ok.
Yeah i was not too sure what i would have done if not covered by warranty. Im sure the unit cost way too much. (shop said there is no replacement lens so they have to put in a whole new speedo)

I thought about trying to dismantle then replace with a bit of plexi from the hardware store.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had suggestions about replacing the lens on my speedo, but this is not a lens held in place by a metal ring like a lot of tachs and speedos on older bikes. the lens appears to be a part of the moulded housing, not a seperate/replaceable part.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You're right that it's part of the front housing, I'm guessing it's either glued in or ultrasonically welded but they can and have been removed.
Not straightforward but if the alternative is buying a new set of clocks for $600;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankfully its covered under warranty. I asked again and the parts guy said it has to be the entire unit if the shop does it... and the unit cost $800ish...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts