Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

First of all, love this forum!!! Its helped me tremendously with tuning, upgrading and problem solving! :)

So my Speedy died today miles away from home outside a petrol station. It just didnt kick over, but the neutral light/lights were on. There was a slight clicking coming from under the tank, just above the cam head where the starter/flasher relay is, at least I think thats where it was coming from.

This isnt the first time it happened and it only seems to happen when I put the kickstand down, turn bike off and then come back, wont start up. Bike has also died a few times will riding, when its really wet and lashing down, but I think this is a different issue but perhaps related in someway. This led me to think its something to do with the kickstand safety switch

Anyway, today when it died I thought of bypassing the kickstand switch with a piece of wire to see if it would start up... didnt work

This random guy walked up to me and asked whats up with the bike, he took time out of his day to problem solve etc. We poked around at at the switch with no luck. He had a look at the starter solenoid and had a screwdriver in his hand, he touched each connection with the screwdriver at the same time, sparked and the bike was turning over!! Awesome, flipped the ignition on, hit the throttle and it started up!! He saved my day, what a legend!! lol

Can anyone explain why this happened and what kind of magic did this guy (dave) pull out of his hat? I turned the bike off when I got home and now it wont start up again, same situation :(

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
When I picked up my Speedmaster last fall the previous owner started it with a screwdriver on the solenoid and claimed someone tried to start the bike while it was connected to battery charger. I picked up a new one from amazon, no issues since.

Lots of recurring threads here pertaining to this solenoid, seems to be a touchy part on the cruisers.

·
Registered
2003 TBS 2012 Fat Boy
1,744 Posts
The solenoid went on my last bike, and I jumped it with a screw driver. It's a relay between the battery and the starter, he bypassed it.
I replaced mine, I think about 30 bucks. No more issues

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.