Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what the problem is here. My bike has been running fine, today we had warmer weather and no problems starting or running the bike to head to work. Coming back I downshifted and hit the gas hard going up a hill, no coughing or any sign of problem, just straight pulling. Then as I backed off the throttle the bike died on me. Kept starting it but it would run badly for a few seconds then conk out, so thinking it might be flooded I waited then tried again, repeatedly -- now it won't even start at all.
I had the dealer change the plugs at the beginning of the season (a month and a half ago) cuz the bike wouldn't start and since then she's been running fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
826 Posts
need some more details on your bike, year, any mods, etc.

so you had the dealer change the plugs already, what prompted you to have them do that, and what was the result? did they show any signs of fouling/corrosion?

bad news is that if the bike went from running like a top with zero symptoms, to running horribly after hard, labored acceleration, something let go. i've had dirt bikes do that, and the result has never been good, chipped valve/rings, head gasket, etc. lets just hope its a simple fueling issue, or maybe a dead coil, needless to say i would get her to the dealer

·
Registered
453 Posts
Without any other symptoms it would be tough for me to imagine something mechanical going bang like that. Almost sounds like an electrical issue.
As JH said, were you having issues that prompted you for the service this winter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The bike is an 05 S3 and the reason I had the plugs changed was the bike wouldn't start after being stored this winter. The dealer changed the plugs and told me there was some corrosion that had to be cleaned in the housing. Also the plugs were pretty black, not sure if that's normal. Since then it's been running well, starting a little better than before though still a little rough for me (I had a Honda before and it practically started before putting the key in).

The only engine mods that I know of are the Jardine slip on mufflers -- not sure if the bike was re - jetted after mod or not, but once running it has always performed very well.

What could go wrong electrically for this to happen? It happenned so suddenly it felt like the bike stopped getting spark in all 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you get any error lights?

You run out of gas? just checking :)

Maybe you fowled the plugs or something like that. You say the bike was running strong so probably not the case.

Is your charging system ok? Maybe you got into some low voltage situation?

Good luck!

·
Registered
826 Posts
hmm, i would try pulling the plugs and checking their condition first. to me it sounds like you either have weak spark, or a fueling issue.

you ride often in rain/wet roads? you said the shop mentioned that you had some corrosion, was this where the plug wire boots snap onto the plugs and the outer threads? the plug wires can begin to corrode internally reducing your spark, as well as crap coils. I had one coil die, no symptoms, just started the bike, and i could clearly hear the miss. if you have a weak spark, and you are slowly fouling the plugs, this is one of those gradual conditions that can creep up on you..how many miles has it been since you had them changed, im curious to hear how they look.

any popping at decel? some bikes do this regardless, but i mean signifigant popping..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts