Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to work, noticed it about 5 minutes into my commute.

Speedo just sits at zero. Tach works fine still.

Odo, and trip didn't move the entire ride in.

I'm guessing it can just come unplugged? I didn't have time to check, but I'm going to later on this evening.

As for the odometer, it didn't record the trip to work. Is that info stored in the computer? I assume a 2006 would have a computer... I'm guessing when I plug it in, it isn't going to retroactively roll the odo up though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
the speedo is mechanical, directly off the front wheel. You should be able to see if the connections are tight fairly easy. If they are not, likely that is the problem. Otherwise, you may need start at the connection behind the speedometer and see if there are any mashed up gears and if the cable rotates freely (with some tension/not broken)

Regarding the odometer, no such luck. the computer is merely timing and fuel position (with a branch for tach), not a full ECM since it is still carb'd.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As mentioned, the speedo and odo are mechanically driven off the front wheel hub. No computer involved.
Speedometer cable is the easiest to start with. Disconnect it at one end, I would start at the bottom. The spline can be pulled out to see if it is broken. If the cable is still intact then move on to the front wheel hub before dealing with the speedometer itself.
Good time to pick up a shop manual, maybe a Haynes as it's far more affordable than the Triumph official one and covers most things rather well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Mogg, and MattyMo!

I decided to drive my civic today just to be safe. I'll check what you both recommended after work today.

Where is a good place to find the Haynes manual? I'm going to check eBay and Amazon after I post this, but if you guys know a better place, I'd appreciate it. Or even a digital version...

Thanks again for your posts!

Edit:

So, I found these on Amazon. It looks like the right one...
http://amzn.com/178521036X
http://amzn.com/0857339583

Looks like it'll run about $30ish from Amazon (Used)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Either should do. It's a very worthwhile ~$35 spent for reference and piece of mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, bought one. Should be here in a couple days. Thanks guys!

I also went ahead and pulled the cable. I read that someone tested it by hooking a drill to one end, and the cable inside doesn't spin.

I took it off, and pulled the inner part, and it's broken.

Where is a good place to buy the part? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
While I do like to support my local dealer I do get some parts online. If your not close to one Bike Bandit is one of many sources for most replacement items. They (WorldofTriumph also) have exploded diagrams of the parts & assemblies available that is very helpful if you have something broken that your not really sure what it's supposed to look like or how it was positioned!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well! I think I found it! I dug around and looked at EVERY exploded part image, and pretty sure this is it.

I'm assuming bike bandit will get it to me a lot faster than World of Triumph though, so probably going that route.

Thank you matty.

I've been digging around on World of Triumph already, but haven't been able to find the specific part...

I just poked around on Bike Bandit too, and can't seem to find it there either.

I find this part (See pic below) but it doesn't include the cable that goes from here to the wheel...

Picture removed, but here is the link for reference: http://i.imgur.com/EcFHKsR.png

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The speedo cable is actually listed under the Control & Brake - OEM - Handle, Top Yoke heading. Item # 20
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-triumph-america/o/m17637#sch568271
They will bury parts on diagrams that I would not associate with what I'm looking for on occasion. Same thing in the Triumph dealers system!

edit: OK, the link doesn't seem to want to work for me from this post. But I think you can find it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so my new speedo cable came in, but the Haynes manual won't be here till next week... :\

Can someone help walk me through this or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Installing the cable is mostly the reverse of removal.
But, DO NOT tighten the screw holding the cable's plastic base assembly in the hub with any force. It should just be snug. Didn't find it in the Haynes but the Triumph shop manual lists only 2Nm of torque on that screw! And yes, I have set that screw in and watched the plastic split and separate as the screw went deeper and deeper :surprise: Thank goodness for zip ties and plastic cement :wink2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Thank you again Matty!

Going to head to the garage now to get it installed, and possibly a test drive, weather pending.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts