Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
speedo stopped working. needle does the movement when the key is turned on but no speedo or odometer when moving. Anyone with similar problems?

since I don't have the service manual with me, could anyone who has one give me the location/routing for the road speed sensor.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most speedo problems have been with the speedo itself (non serviceable) or the harness connector under the fuel tank. It might be worth a try to lift the tank and check all the electrical connectors under there... it would be a good time to put a little di electric grease on them.

J

·
0 Posts
I have a customer whose 06 R3 Classic where the speedo did the same thing. We checked it out, found nothing wrong. We cleared the DTC ( fault ) and the speedo came back to life, with no reoccurence since.

It quit working initially right after he power washed the bike.

Had another customer whose Tach quit. Wouldn't test sweep or anything. Blown fuse was the problem on that one....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Usually moisture in the connector under the tank, unplug it use some electrical terminal spray cleaner, seal with silicone and voila. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply(s). What is the "clear the DTC fault?)
moisture could be it. had been riding in the rain for a couple of days before it stopped working and right now it stays outside with a half cover on at night. have had other moisture related electronic issues as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Checked the fuses?
When I blew one, fiddeling with the accessory clock, it took out the speedo and rev counter as well...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another interesting development, speedo still doesn't work, but this am, started it up and the speedo needle did the initial move...and stayed at 140 .....also the coolant over heat light came on....39 degrees at the time....turned it off and on again....speedo moved down about 1/2 way and stuck, over heat light still on. a couple more times and the needle zeroed out but still over heat light. any thought here?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for additinal diagnosis....now...the tac and all lights in that unit do not work....any more ideas?

·
Registered
347 Posts
G'day,

Take it to the dealer. That is what warranties are for. My new speedo is arriving this week. I'll let y'all know how it goes when its on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
tatonka,

you OBVIOUSLY have an electrical fault that is causing variable results at different times.

Do what the guys have said and check the god***** connector. Clean it, dry it, grease it (with electrical grease, or a little WD-40)

reassemble, and use some vaseline (white petroleum jelly) to seal the connector cover.

THEN see if it misbehaves...

[ This message was edited by: SickNick on 2006-12-20 05:16 ]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dealer called yesterday...bike is ready for pickup today.
New speedo installed and he sez everything works as it should.
So I guess the ad would be.....2005, no miles, don't know how the rear tire got like that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts