Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding around this morning and after about 20 minutes I hear a whining sound. Hard to explain the sound itself. Kind of like a spring spinning maybe? Anyways it only happen 3 or 4 times as I turned around and headed home as soon as I heard it. Ever time I would be around 35mph for a few seconds it would start. I would pull in the clutch and coast down to a stop. At which point it would stop. Start back up hit 40 for a few seconds it would start again and so on.

What is this sound and how do I get it fixed? The bike doesn't even have 25 miles on it yet!

By the way "Freakn' Cold" this morning, hard time typing thumbs still a little chilly (and yes I have gloves). Thanks for the help in advance.
dayton

·
Registered
282 Posts
Its the speedometer. Mine does the same when its cold. Ride it long enough and the needle with start bouncing around. Seems like triumph could charge a few dollars more and get some better instruments.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull your speedo cable and lube it with a light grease (i use a white lithium grease), and see if the noise goes away
stupid question time, where can I pick some of that up and also anyone know of a blow up online to show me where the cable is and where I should take it out to grease it? (first time bike owner)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Any car part store has the grease - in a spray can. The cable goes in behind the speedo - slide the rubber boot down and you'll see the ribbed end cap, simply unscrew it and pull out, lube, put back.
The other end is on the left side of the front wheel on the hub. It is held in with a bracket with a phillips screw. Unscrew, pull cable out, shoot some lube in hub and cable end, replace.
The inner cable may slide out of the sheathing if you let the cable end point down, so it is helpful to hold this upward while lubing.
Buy a Haynes manual - very helpful.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
The good news is, it's nothing to worry about and easy to fix. It's probably making the noise because it's cold.

An alternative to shooting grease into the cable is to pull the cable all the way out, from the bottom, and use your fingers to apply a thin coat of light grease (from any auto parts store).

When you re-insert the cable, you might have trouble getting it past the last few inches, behind the speedometer, where it bends in a rigid metal tube. Put the bottom end in the chuck of a portable drill and gently tighten it just enough to hold it, then slowly spin it while you push it in, and it will glide right into place.

When you re-attach the bottom with the Phillips screw, make sure that the cable is seated and the hub aligned correctly. By the way, a long Phillips screwdriver is handy here.

It's a good idea to pull the cable about once a year, clean it off with a rag and some paint thinner or WD40, dry it, and re-grease it. It should last longer before it breaks if you do this, and it should make less noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speedo Whine

Had Same Problem On My 2008 T100. Started Whining At 45mph. Dealer Replaced With New Speedo This Morning. Warranty Repair. They Tried The Lube Route And Cable Replacement On Another Customers Bike, Finally Replaced Speedo. Only 2nd Time They Have Seen Problem. Only Happens At 35 Degrees Or Less

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
It's not the cable, it's the speedo head. A common problem in cold weather. To fix you have to remove the speedo and add the smallest amount of oil on the part that the cable turns. Take care, I say the smallest amount of oil because if you put too much on, you could end up with oil spray on the speedo face or glass.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Mike, what kind of oil do you use?

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Thanks. I'll do mine the next time I find a reason to get in there (behind the fly screen).

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you re-insert the cable, you might have trouble getting it past the last few inches, behind the speedometer, where it bends in a rigid metal tube. Put the bottom end in the chuck of a portable drill and gently tighten it just enough to hold it, then slowly spin it while you push it in, and it will glide right into place.
Just a quick note - not all Bonnies have a speedo cable with that rigid metal section just behind the speedo. For example, my wife's T-100 has that, but my standard Bonnie does not - both are 2007's. My Bonnie just has a straight-through cable.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Just a quick note - not all Bonnies have a speedo cable with that rigid metal section just behind the speedo. For example, my wife's T-100 has that, but my standard Bonnie does not - both are 2007's. My Bonnie just has a straight-through cable.

Jeff
Thanks. My 2005 standard Bonnie has that tube, go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts