Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had to replace the speedo on my '99 Sprint ST with a second hand unit and I'd like to be able to reset the mileage on the new unit to what the old unit had recorded - Does anyone know if it's possible to do that and if so how please.

Thanks and cheers: Harry

·
Registered
703 Posts
I guess anything is possible, HOWEVER, at least in the US, doing that would open yourself up to legal issues I'm pretty sure. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the instrument cluster replaced on my '07 under warranty. The dealer told me it is not possible to alter the mileage on the new cluster. So I just live with it and do some math to figure out my actual mileage.

It may be possible to take it to a speedometer shop, they have the tools to change odometers. But they may not have anything for a Triumph cluster. Also they would probably need the old cluster as proof of mileage. Probably not worth it.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do this on a computerized bike like the 955, but it was no problem to do on my '96 Trident. I upped the mileage on the replacement cluster to match the miles on the old one, but I thought it was laughable how easy it would have been to roll it back a ways. (Nobody would've believed 0, but it could've passed for a hair under 10k...)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
202 Posts
I guess anything is possible, HOWEVER, at least in the US, doing that would open yourself up to legal issues I'm pretty sure. :(
Is it possible the CPU has the actual mileage recorded?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently bought an 03 955i Daytona, and the speedo was replaced by the PO, and it shows more kms on it than it originally had. So I am guessing the Speedo itself stores the mileage, and not the CPU.
I am sure there is a way to do it. Just not clear as to how.
I'd like to put my mileage back to what is on the bike as well
If anyone figures it out, please let me know

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do this on a computerized bike like the 955, but it was no problem to do on my '96 Trident. I upped the mileage on the replacement cluster to match the miles on the old one, but I thought it was laughable how easy it would have been to roll it back a ways. (Nobody would've believed 0, but it could've passed for a hair under 10k...)

Cheers,
-Kit

Hi Kit,
this is exatly what I am facing with my 95' speed 3, I am changing the U/S speedo with a used one, and would like to get it at the same mileage to go on How did you manage?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I think it is great that you are trying to do this. In Canada you can register the mileage with the gov't so when someone buys the bike they can see that the speedo was registered with a certain mileage then add the two. You could also mark it down on the new speedo itself on the backside you always know the replacement mileage because I don't think it is possible on the electonic ones to change it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can see going up, as the speed needle would move in the right direction, but if you went backwards, to match a replacement to original miles, would the speed mechanism get damaged by being stopped at zero? Tx.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know about Triumph specifically but I was a mechanic for Ford Australia in the early 90s when digital odometers were being widely introduced. We were told back then that the speedo itself stored the mileage and it had a shelf life of something like 200 years.

It was possible to reprogram a speedo but, from memory, it had to be sent to the factory to be done. None of the dealerships had the capability to do this and I would assume (quite rightly from my experience) that the reason was they couldn't be trusted not to wind them back on their used cars.

You could try contacting Triumph directly but I would suspect it would be the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts