Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (after not getting stopped going through the speed trap...yea), I made it home for lunch.
After lunch, halfway back to office, I noticed the speedometer is not working.
It is an '05 Bonneville 790.
Is it a mechanical or electrical issue? I don't have a multimeter and electrical stuff mystifies me, sometimes.

I do have a Haynes manual and will read up tonight.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is the odometer still working? If neither is working, then it's probably the speedo cable. I had the original break on me, after 3 months of ownership. Either way, you should still be under warranty, a speedo cable is an easy replacement.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The core is probably broken about 3" up from the bottom. Be sure and grease the core of the new one or you will go thru this again soon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, I've had nothing but good impressions from the Triumph dealership in Austin, so you should be just fine for a warranty action.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Normandy, what do you mean by "the core" (of the speedo)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all.
It was the cable that snapped as described.
I will reinstall myself as I bought the bike used.
The Haynes manual was, once again, very helpful.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
On 2006-12-14 19:46, Baltobonneville wrote:
Normandy, what do you mean by "the core" (of the speedo)?

The core of the speedo cable. They come with a light oil which is ok for clutch cables but the speedo core turns at high speed and should be bathed in white grease to stand up long term.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Now it makes sense! I call it the speedo wire. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked about whether to lube it or not. I was told it is teflon encased, and therefore needs no extra lubrication.
It was an easy install and < $40.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hey BonneRocker,
You might check with your dealership. I also bought my bike used just shy of one year old and I still have a year left on warranty. You don't have to be the original owner. They come with a 2 year warranty. Worth checking into. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts