Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 RS, and last weak the speedo quit working. It is not registering speed and the tripodomer won't registar either. Since this is a Digital set up, is their a sensor or something that needs to be replace. Any advice on repair.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
No I am not talking about my swimsuite
Well, thank god for small favors! :D

Seriously, though, the short version is your battery is shot. If you want the long version, check out my thread from a couple months ago.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the battery thread. I to have a vest and may have turned it on prior to start up, however, if the battery is shot, wouldn't I be haveing a problem starting the bike. It does drag some due to cold temps, but has never drained itself dry. I may try and just unhook it and hook it back up to see if that changes things.

Curtis

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
My speedo went to zero a week or two before the slow starts started happening.

It's also worth noting that the no-name battery I bought from a local auto shop was junk, and that my problems didn't really go away until I put in a new Yuasa battery.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
123 Posts
With my '04 RS, I have to keep it on a battery tender even with a fairly new battery. I noticed my speedo & odo would often not work during the first half of a ride but would work on the return leg, after the bike was shut off for a period of time in between. That indicated to me that the battery was charging back up to the magic voltage number the bike's vampire electronics expect during those initial portions of my rides. No probs since keeping it on a tender.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, it's a "feature" of the bike. If the battery is low, the speedo will not work even though the bike starts up. It's designed to let you know that you need to replace or recharge the battery.

My battery never died, but it did crank slow when it was on it's way out. I'd start it, let it run a few, then turn it off (all power off) and restart it so the speedo would work. New battery solved it, though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Taylor

would a low battery cause the fuel gauge to not work all the time too or is that one of those bugs? 08' ST ABS?

It takes a while to come on or register or something....

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
AFAIK, this is unique to the G2 955 bikes; I don't think this is related to your 1050 fuel gauge.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts