Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok went on a long run last Saturday 380 miles without problems, used her again Monday and today and speedo is registering really slow, one or two MPH when doing about thirty, fifty when I am doing eighty!! No warning lights battery is good and she's running like a dream, thinking maybe sender in the front hub dirty? maybe a connection somewhere? anyone else had this or is it just me, will rip the fairings off saturday and clean connections etc, any other ideas, oh as you may know its an 06 955 tona, Dave.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change your tires recently?
(or have front wheel off for any other reason?)

Sounds like broken sender magnet. Expensive!

no just parked up after a trip and was not working two days later, odd one isnt it

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,790 Posts
Have you checked the cable for damage?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Doodledog, If you've a '02> D955i, there's been limited success epoxy'g the magnets back into place. Make sure the tangs on the sensor fit into the slots on the hub and stay there 'till the axle is installed.

Brad

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your magnet is broken - and you dont want to pay OEM prices for a new sender - try this fix
love to but a bit extreme just for a sender unit, cannot see how the magnets are messed up as the wheel has not been off since a new tyre last year, did however check and wd40 the leads today, will see how it is on sunday.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
.. a bit extreme just for a sender unit...
Clearly a new sender is 'less extreme' - just ridiculously expensive and only suggesting as cost saving exercise since Triumph won't supply the magnet as an individual part - unlike Suzuki for example. Magnet for an SV is only ~ $25.

The solution I propose will never fail again.

I sincerely hope it is just connector trouble.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what I am hoping, thing is it still gives a speed readout just not the correct speed, if the magnets where off then it would either not read at all or be consistantly wrong, mine just seems to drift around from 2mph to 65 mph when I am doing 80 + will give it a test on sunday to see if todays efforts were sucsessfull

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok went on a long run last Saturday 380 miles without problems, used her again Monday and today and speedo is registering really slow, one or two MPH when doing about thirty, fifty when I am doing eighty!! No warning lights battery is good and she's running like a dream, thinking maybe sender in the front hub dirty? maybe a connection somewhere? anyone else had this or is it just me, will rip the fairings off saturday and clean connections etc, any other ideas, oh as you may know its an 06 955 tona, Dave.
I had the same problem with my 02 Daytona recently. I checked the connections and everything. I had to replace the sending unit and it now works fine.

Dan

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same problem with my 02 Daytona recently. I checked the connections and everything. I had to replace the sending unit and it now works fine.

Dan
Looks like thats what I will have to do, how could the sender be broke though, its not been touched????

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Best to pull the wheel & check out the sender magnet - it should be whole (obviously).
If it looks intact, then check to be sure the drive detent is engaged properly in the magnet when wheel is installed; also check that you don't have a break in the cable, most likely where it exits the sender.

Since you're in wet n miserable UK, also be sure that the connector plug (behnd the steering head) looks good & clean & is not corroded.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yes done the conection thang, will pull the wheel today, won a Suzuki sender on ebay £7 +p p, so will go that route, where do you buy magnets though, not played with magnets since I was a kid?

Stop press just pulled the wheel, the magnet is in four pieces, w*f, have won the suz one and chopped the cable off the triumph one, just waiting till next weekend now to play with magnets and bits of plate, will post pics of the whole thing if anyones interested, on completion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fuggeddaboudit - 17mm

What - you don't like the other $25 solution?
I kinda like having everything all simple and clean looking as possible, and I just don't see any place I could hide the magnets, mount sensor to look as clean as OEM

THe triumph axles appears to be 20mm...... anyone know exactly what it is?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I kinda like having everything all simple and clean looking as possible, and I just don't see any place I could hide the magnets, mount sensor to look as clean as OEM
No worries mate I just object to paying OEM prices and get a kick out of finding a cheaper alternative and figuring it out, (thanks of course to Decosse help) than paying $168 for something that will break again in 12000 miles, or next time I drop the front wheel out, as you can see the magnets are pretty unobtrusive on the disc buttons at about 9,3 and 25 past.
:D your choice Just needs tidying up a bit and routing sorting but this is the basic job. Tidy up done, wire now runs back behind the fork leg, and bracket re painted, did the calipers and new pads while I was at it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts