Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what happened to Sheila after 52000 miles, when I was nearly home after a longish ride yesterday

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Cool. Now you can get a new one with 0 miles on it. You ain't gonna find a 52,000 mile speedo on ebay I bet. I'm keeping my 41,000 mile speedo. Find a used one on ebay & hook it to a reversing electric drill for about a month. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Would you have to get a new speedo? Surely someone must be able to replace the needle???

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, the needle can just be removed & replaced, it's just held in place by friction (speedo axle has a slight taper at the tip, and the needle has a matching taper on the inner surface). Not sure where you'd find a replacement, though. I've removed needles from tachs & speedos as part of instrument restorations I've done. The hard part is usually figuring out how to open up the case. I haven't' tried this on any recent bikes, the ones I've done are from the 70s, but hopefully the design of the cases hasn't changed much. I've damaged a few of the cases getting them opened, but I didn't worry because I was going to restore them anyway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The speedo bezels are rolled on and a devil of a job to get off:eek: If you can get that done you have to get the needle back on in the right place as the armature that the needle fits onto is sprung by a hair spring to the stop :confused: You have to put it correctly otherwise the speedo will read wrong Best to take it to a Pro.;)
T.U.D.:EnglandFlag

1 - 6 of 6 Posts