Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was bored, so I thought I'd give it a go. Then the sun came out to advertise perfect riding weather - doh...
First (after I'd cut a bleedin' great hole in the top of the bowl) the speedo drive wants to be in the same space as the light connection. Bugger!..
So I've extended the hole sideways and backwards and have now been building up with fibreglass to give some support to the back of the speedo. Pictures will follow.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You are using the stock gauge? Pretty big item! The mini gauges would be somewhat of a problem as well, but if you have success, along with yourself, you'll make a lot of people happy. :D
I love the look of a gauge in a headlight shell. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't think that the stock bucket is big (as in long) enough to put the speedo in. The speedo takes up a lot of room! The Ural/Dnepr units are the same diameter but are longer to accomodate the speedo. You'll probably find that you have to rework your h/lamp ears to lift up the unit so you can see the speedo. While you are that you should move the unit back into the space previously occupied by the stock guages.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, sounds like the hole is already cut, but how about a smaller speedo? Maybe you could make some sort of adapter to fit it? Maybe a unit with the idiot lights built into it?

That, sir, is exactly the speedo I'm a using! I will be sitting the speedo a little to the left so that the speedo cable doesn't want to sit in the same space as the bulb connection!
Job well underway. Filler-sculpture just the ticket tomorrow morning!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
GD,

I was very interested to see how the off-center mounting
looked... sounded unorthodox as hell, but have to say it looks just right on your bike. Also noting & appreciating the way you carefully contoured the speedo opening. Good work & highly original, on what won't be mistaken for anybody else's bike anytime soon. :D

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
627 Posts
Get rid of the Allen Wrench. LoL

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Nice work, looks like it belongs there. What is the significance of the tank decal with a wrench dropping into the gears ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The allen key is my trusty old, rusty old replacement for the official onboard 'toolkit'. It's there officially as a badge of dishonour.
The logo is erm... a spanner in the works... a political medal of honour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts