Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
been a while since i posted anything but can't figure out why my speedo makes this awful screeching sound when i hit about 40mph when i slow down so does the noise slow down then stops when doing about 5 mph, i borrowed a speedo hub off a friend but it still did it,tried it without the speedo connected and no noise at all, took the speedo hub apart cleaned and regreased it but still making an awful noise,any ideas? my Bonny T100 is 2003 with 17k on the clock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same symptoms as I had, except mine only did it in cold weather. It happened for years & I just put up with it. The needle was never stable, eventually swinging violently from side to side hitting the resting pin before self destruction. I think the problem, whatever it may be, is within the speedo unit itself. I fitted a new one & all is well. I have a 2010 model but the mileage was about the same as yours when I replaced it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think for a few poundsi'll try the cable first as i don't get any swinging or erratic needle movement fingers crossed.John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just an update on my speedo noise, i cleaned the hub and regreased it,bought a new cable for £6.50 removed the inner cable and oiled overnight ,fitted and been out for a blast today and touch wood no noise at 60mph.John

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Thank you for posting your results. It will surely help many us in the future.

·
Registered
238 Posts
With my 2006 Bonneville T100 I had the same speedometer noise problems as you did.
I asked on triumphrat and received a number of good suggestions on solving the problem.
The one I tried and it worked was to purchase some liquid graphite which was billed as a cable lube. I bought it on eBay.

I disconnected the cable at the speedometer and carefully added a few milliliters of the graphite at the end of the cable and then reconnected it (it's messy stuff). I let it sit for a day and then drove the bike slowly for the first hundred feet or so to help work the fluid down the cable even tho it seemed to flow very nicely initially.

BINGO ! The noise problem went away and the speedometer functions properly with no issues -- at least so far. That was the second time I had the noise problem. Like you, the first time the noise happened I too replaced the cable. Hopefully the lubricating is a bit more practical solution to the problem.

If the problem occurs again you may want to consider lubricating with a liquid graphite. It may be an easy and inexpensive solution to the problem in the future.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
I disconnected the cable at the speedometer and carefully added a few milliliters of the graphite at the end of the cable and then reconnected it (it's messy stuff). I let it sit for a day and then drove the bike slowly for the first hundred feet or so to help work the fluid down the cable even tho it seemed to flow very nicely initially.
Great advice and could not agree more on the stuff being incredibly nasty, messy.
For what it's worth liquid graphite is also very good for locks and tumblers. Door hinges and the like also.
But damn it's messy - be prepared. I have the type that is in a spray can and you really have to be ready to protect everything around where you want to spray. I swear the can has about 1000 psi to make it worse....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I remember using graphite many years ago , sometime back in the 70's . It was in two stroke oil that I used to premix for my trials bike , always looked like somebody else's old sump oil .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts