Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys in an attempt to get my speedo working i was just wondering if anyone knew what would be places to check that would power the speedo off a EFI speedo canbus. Is there a fuse somewhere other than the fuse box or wiring that could effect the speedo to no have power. My speedo is not even powering up , i don't see the clock displaying anything what so ever.

cheers

Rick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tachometer powers up, the speedo has no power. The LCD display shows nothing and I'm not able to start the bike. This is a 2011 bonneville. What other places I can look too see if the speedo is getting power?

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
The LCD display shows nothing and I'm not able to start the bike.
I`m no expert but not being able to start the bike seems slightly more serious than the Speedo not having power?

At the risk of sounding like a master of the bleeding obvious, have you checked the kill switch?

:confused:

On the digital speedo bonnies it cuts power to the speedo and the idiot lights, as well as the engine.

·
Super Moderator
21,943 Posts
... The power for the instruments could be that red wire coming from the ECU pin B28, not sure though....
It's not actually Forchetto - the Red & Blue wires are the CANBUS data transmission.

Since there is no power to gauges NOR will it start, sounds more like the ignition power itself is not on - regardless of the gauges themselves being active, if the ignition circuit is complete, the neutral and oil pressure lights should at least be on.

The ignition circuit is the Green/Red on 3 & 4 of both instruments - however the problem is more likely to be further back
1) key-switch
2) Fuse #6 (check this first!)
3) Kill Switch
4) Alarm Bypass Connector Plug

Do the parking lights &/or the headlight &/or brake light/turn signals/brake light work? (please advise)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks so much guys for responding! Ok here goes.

-The lights come on, headlamp is working, signals are working, and rear tail lamp is working.
-Checked kill switch already and its ok.
-Looked in the fuse box and checked every fuse over twice so im pretty sure fuse #6 is ok
-On the tach side oil light is on, neutral light works as i tried to put it in gear and then back to neutral. Needle goes from left to right when i turn the power on via the ignition.

Now what is the Alarm bypass mechanism? Also im not sure if this can be a factor too is that the plug might have come into contact with moisture as it was outside when it was raining and i did see some water in both plugs for tach and speedo when i replaced gauges. I blew out the moisture with a air compressor before i plugged in gauges a day later so it would dry completely

·
Super Moderator
21,943 Posts
On the tach side oil light is on, neutral light works as i tried to put it in gear and then back to neutral. Needle goes from left to right when i turn the power on via the ignition.
Then you have ignition circuit working

Explain further re "replaced gauges" - do you mean you just unplugged and reconnected them while troubleshooting, or that you installed new, replacement gauges?

How/when did this problem first occur?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone had hit/vandalized my bike when it was parked outside. Speedos were messed up so i replaced them. While i was waiting for replacements i had taken the speedo brackets and had it repainted so i uninstalled the gauges and left the wires unplugged which due to unexpected rain one day the plugs got wet. But i had blown them out dry and let sit for a couple days before installing new gauges.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The print shown is incorrect, the tach is 1 the speedo is 2
Pin 1 on both is a 30 feed or constant 12V (purple wire)
Pins 3 and 4 are 15 feeds or switched 12V (green/red)
Pins 2 and 7 are grounds
If everything checks out OK above, test with a known good speedo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! Hey also i was wondering how much battery power do i need to have to be able to power the gauges up. The bike has been sitting for about 8-10 months, not sure if the battery low but i did put it on an old battery tender and it showed it was charged.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The bike has been sitting for about 8-10 months, not sure if the battery low but i did put it on an old battery tender and it showed it was charged.
I think that might have something to do with it. This is the sort of detail clue that's often left out of queries and can lead up a blind alley, red herrings, and waste days of detective work ;).

Old or damaged batteries often fail to respond to one of those tenders. They raise the terminal voltage sufficiently to get their "charged" indicators shining but put no charge on it.

Need that terminal voltage reading. With and without the ignition turned ON.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will check voltage today. Seems like the lights are bright last time I checked. As for the battery it's from a 2011 t100 so I'm not sure how old it can be but since maybe it's been sitting for almost a year maybe the battery has lost some power even if I put it on a charger? I'll check everything today and get back with results. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts