Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up the bike this morning - which was a chore as it was in the lower 40's - and the speedo readout/trip odometer was flickering on and off. I am assuming this is a battery issue related to the temperature. Is is time for a replacement or is this normal behavior for an 2002 S3? Also, I had assumed it wouldn't be so hard to start the bike when it was chilly due to it being fuel injected - was I wrong to assume this or does this again go back to a battery issue?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I got it started after about 4 attempts and the flickering seemed to be fewer and far between as I warmed it up. I will check out the thread, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got busy haven't been able to check the charging system but it appears as if I will have time now and because the bike was completely dead after I rode it somewhere this afternoon. I think part of the problem is that I have been riding the bike back and forth to school which is only about 4 blocks away for the past couple of weeks, killing the battery. Battery tender jr and multimeter are in the mail. I have this hunch that I am going to need a new R/R but what from I have gathered it seems pretty straight forward if you go the route of buying the $10 triumph cables. It seems that the only issue is finding a new place to mount the Fh012. I would like to get this done before the winter but I am running out of weather here fast(they got snow today in northern Minn).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a chance to check voltages today:
Off :12.85
On (headlights): 12.22
Engine on :13.1
3k RPM: 13.4

I didn't really understand from the sticky how to check the stator and R/R individuality and was short on time today so I didn't get a chance to look into it. My engine running voltage is not in the 14's but is it low enough to where I should be worried?

·
Super Moderator
21,256 Posts
I assume those engine running numbers are also with lights on?
Those are fairly typical numbers for a working SCR system with standard wiring
Since you had the instrument flicker issue, I would look to the Stator connector for burning and to the fuse panel to see if there is any problem with melting fuse.
Bad stator or R/R can't 'fix itself' but poor intermittent over-heated contacts can cause temporary issues (which will likely come back if that is case)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts