Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I see in the UK it is possible to buy mechanical convertors that change kph speedos to read in mph. I see them advertised on ebay. Has anyone seen one that goes the other way (mph to kph)?

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
I'm not sure how they do it but I think it's to do with the whole gearbox ratio.

I'd email Burton bike bits

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like a small gearbox. There is one version that threads onto the speedo drive at the wheel, or the other version threads onto the speedo, and then accepts the speedo cable. All it needs to be is to change the revolutions of the speedo drive in the ratio 8/5 (mph to kph) or 5/8 (kph to mph). The ones I see for sale in the UK are sold by Motrax. It looks like they are common fitment for grey import Japanese market bikes to the UK.

However what I am looking for is the reverse - I have a UK model bike here in Australia so want to go from mph to kph.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
yes, my G/F has a Jap export Honda converted to UK

Someone (on here?) noticed that the "proper" wheel mounted gearboxes had different ratios and so by choosing the correct one, they got their speedo to run in MPH or KpH

I don't remember which way they went, but I am guessing to KpH

Rather than adding a convertor to your existing gearbox?

I'm assuming that you ARE talking about a Triumph rear wheel drive speedo? (ie a T140D)

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
yeah, I know what you mean. I just don't know much about them.

What EXactactly are you trying to do?

I am assuming that you have an MPH bike and want to convert it to KpH as cheaply as possible (keeping it looking the same?)

I think that it MAY be possible by the correct use of a rear wheel gearbox at the right ratio but don't know ( I mean the whole caboodle)

or

fit a KpH Veglia lok-a-like?
you'd need to check what gearbox ratio it works to

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/GoffySpeedosandmountings.htm

I hardly look at mine, anyway

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly - I only want to do it if its easy. I saw my brother-in-laws grey import Yamaha XJR400 a couple of weeks ago when I was in the UK and that had the converter that fits to the speedo. They seem to be common on ebay to go kph to mph, but can't see one to go the other way.

So I am looking for a converter for my T140D to go mph to kph.

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
I have just looked at a spare parts book that i have ((1981 99-7502)

It's the wrong one for my bike, and I guess yours, but.

it lists three speedos

60-7272 (veglia MPH85)
60-7222 (veglia MPH150)
60-7207 (veglia KPH250)
but only one speedo drive gearbox
60-7091
this is a LHS box

so it looks as if (at least in 81) Triumph fitted the same gearbox and used different heads

I'd email Paul Goff or see if you can find a local source and getadvice from someone who isn't guessing (like I am!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts