Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am about to replace the speedometer and cable on my 69,
I was wondering about lubing the cable before I install them, what type of oil to use. Any
suggestions would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mix graphite powder (fishing reels) with WD40.

Raask Cycle said:
I personally prefer a mixture of powdered graphite and WD40. To do a good job of lubricating your cables, first disconnect the cable at the handlebar end, then take a sandwich type plastic baggie and cut one of the bottom corners of the bag at a 45 degree angle leaving a hole just big enough to stick the upper end of the cable through, tape the baggie to the outside of the cable housing, then hang the cable up by the baggie. Dump some of your favorite cable lube in the bag and leave it sit for a while. The lube in the bag will run down the inner cable lubing it all the way. Remove the baggy, wipe everything off, hook the cable back up and adjust it and your done. You may be surprised how much easier your cables are to pull after you have done this.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's a good tip.
I use a empty shower gel bottle. Wash and dry it and put some E 90 gear oil in take the top of the cable off and carefully fit the nozzle part of the shower gel container over the outer sheath of the cable.
Using the inbuilt hook hang the bottle from one of the mirrors for a few hours.
Remove and keep for next time.
Most shower bottles have a silicone seal to prevent leakage, this seals around the cable.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
I use 10W30 in summer and 3 in 1 oil in winter (below 0 degrees C.). I use the oiler pictured below so I can oil the cables from the top while the bottom end is still attached to the bike. Takes minutes, no waiting, no mess. Cost is about $30.00. You will need to make/modify another rubber seal though for some of the bigger cables. The difference in clutch ease and throttle action is quite remarkable. One of the best tools I've ever purchased for my bike. :

1 - 5 of 5 Posts