Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. After saving for almost a year - I found a used 06 Speed 3. Had to drive up to Waukesha, WI and then ride the bike back to Chicago in the freezing cold - I swear my fingers were about to turn black.. (but that doesnt matter, it was totally worth it) .

Anyway, the bike was purchased new with a flyscreen and belly pan. I want to remove both for a more minimalist setup, but I'm not sure where to get the cover for the back of the speedo/tach cluster. Seems like there should be something to replace the plate that holds the flyscreen on?

This bike is absolutely amazing, and quite positively the nicest thing I've ever owned. I'm in seventh heaven!

Anyone else in the Chicago area with a Street or Speed Trip?

-BJ
Chicago, IL

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats..Hope you are able to keep the fingers..... There is a backing cap for the speedo. If you remove the flyscreen with a coupe allen wrenches the speedo back cap that you are referring to has a couple nubs that are to be pushed through the center of a couple rubber gromets that allow the cap to be held on...No tools needed. You can get your local dealer to order one, check flea-bay, and bikebandit.com. Bikebandit sells some OEM parts for many makes so you will have to search schmatics online for your part. Triumphrat member get a discount from them, so i've been told. You most likely will have to order it. I dont figure they are in high demand post sale because everyons bike should have came with one. Also consider that the one that would have come with your bike looks a little different then the cap that is on 08-09 bikes. The 08-09 cap looks a little better than 05-07's however I don't know if they are interchangable but they appear to be. I'm sure someone reading this will correct me if I am wrong. And finally, Street Triples use the backing cap too. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll check some more in the morning and maybe phone the local dealer. Can't wait to put some serious miles on her!

Congrats..Hope you are able to keep the fingers..... There is a backing cap for the speedo. If you remove the flyscreen with a coupe allen wrenches the speedo back cap that you are referring to has a couple nubs that are to be pushed through the center of a couple rubber gromets that allow the cap to be held on...No tools needed. You can get your local dealer to order one, check flea-bay, and bikebandit.com. Bikebandit sells some OEM parts for many makes so you will have to search schmatics online for your part. Triumphrat member get a discount from them, so i've been told. You most likely will have to order it. I dont figure they are in high demand post sale because everyons bike should have came with one. Also consider that the one that would have come with your bike looks a little different then the cap that is on 08-09 bikes. The 08-09 cap looks a little better than 05-07's however I don't know if they are interchangable but they appear to be. I'm sure someone reading this will correct me if I am wrong. And finally, Street Triples use the backing cap too. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the bike is supposed to come with the back part of the cluster cause you need to take it off to install the flyscreen. whoever sold you the bike forget to give it to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought, so I contacted him again and apparently he bought it with the flyscreen from the dealer. Perhaps they still have one floating around :)

the bike is supposed to come with the back part of the cluster cause you need to take it off to install the flyscreen. whoever sold you the bike forget to give it to you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Right. Call the seller back and see if he still has it. I was assuming that he dosn't or the dealer he bought those parts from installed them and kept it. Dealers do that crap all day, you pay them to remove the existing part you own, they install other parts you pay for and fail to return what you left behind and then sell them to other people. Always ask for you removed parts back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts