Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their 900 speedometer to be off?

The wife was behind me on a toll road and I had cruise control set at 77mph.

At lunch she commented that I was cruising the speed limit and how that was weird(Texas lots of miles to cover). I replied well I did not think you wanted to go 80 mph so I set it to 77. She informed me her car was at 71mph.

Was curious if anyone else has noticed any thing weird with the speedo. My RE Himalayan speedometer was not correct at all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is a thread on this here Speedo accuracy
My impression is that the Tiger speedo is off by 6% - 8%, as seems to be the case with most bikes. My recent Suzuki and BMW bikes were off by about the same amount. Yes, it is annoying.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hi,
I think you will find that the speedometer laws dictate that the speedometer must not ever show that you are going slower than your real speed. This is the priority for the lawmakers and manufactures depending on country the usual rules are 10% + 4km/h overspeed allowance.

The second part of this is that they have to be designed to show a higher speed than you are actually travelling when new. As your tyre wears down to a smaller diameter it will spin faster for the same speed, the speedo should get more accurate as the tyre wears, then go back to reading ‘fast‘ when you get a new tyre.

Using another vehicle as a reference is not a good idea, as they run under the same rules.

If comparing to GPS speedo then the GPS needs to compensate for altitude and gradients, and not be shielded by buildings/canyons/trees, etc. If it can ‘see’ 7 satellites at the same time, this is good. 95% accuracy is a good achievement.
Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
2,399 Posts
Just drive by one of those street radar speed reader indicator that let u know your speed they are very accurate…FTG
Plant Rectangle Tree Grass Font

Reactions: GiddyG

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,117 Posts
My GT Pro is a constant 10% over - I have a digital speedo app on my phone and it's always that 10%. Here in Oz that's the max allowed by the design regs.

I have a Husqvarna and it's only 1 or 2 kph over, so I have to keep an eye on my inner auto-correct between the bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts