Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a 1969 Cycle World review of the 650 Tiger and noticed how accurate the speedo was - 50mph indicated was actually 49.07, 60 was actually 60.04, and 70mph was actually 71.31. Heck, who'd need to rely on GPS or roadside speed indicators if you knew your speedo was this close?

Given all the speedo inaccuracy threads, it makes you wonder why they did so much better 40 years ago.

Here's the article if anyone's interested. The specs are at the end.

http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Mags/1960s/69TigerCW.pdf

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I put a 2 1/4 mini speedometer on my Bonneville and it is two mph closer to accurate than the stock - and looks better too!

Ahh, a mile or two difference doesn't matter much I guess - unless a cop is scribbling in his book! LOL

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Hmmmm Cant say the old smiths speedo on my BSA is that accurate. The needle swings between 80and 60 at most speeds! I just take an average and hope. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Smith's.....

Nickwiz,
You need to lube your cable with dry graphite or replace it and/or get your speedo rebuilt. I musta snapped 3 new speedo cables on my old '66 BSA before I sent mine off for rebuilding. Had the same symptoms as yours does. Now its smooth as silk and fairly accurate too. Using those along the side of the road radar speed detector/warning machines on several passes at varying speeds mine is now 1-2 MPH off. Very accurate compared to our new Triumph speedo's. The modern is off by 6-8 MPH accross the range. Disappointing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts