Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post to this forum...
I did a search and couldn't find any discussion of wind screen preference for the Speedmaster. Also wondering how many Speedy riders installed engine guards/freeway bars/ whatever you want to call them, and what type.
As soon as I have completely healed from breaking my neck while crashing my last bike, I plan to buy an '07 Speedy.

What wind screen did you choose and why?
Ditto engine guards?

[ This message was edited by: miksail on 2007-01-30 19:45 ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a summer screen on the way from my Trumpy dealer. It should arrive in the next couple of days and I'll let you know how it goes. I purchased it with the bike for about $480.00 Australian.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
On 2007-01-28 18:26, miksail wrote:

As soon as I have completely healed from breaking my neck while cashing my last bike, I plan to buy an '07 Speedy.
:wow:

That must have been fun?!?!? Glad you're still with us.. sry don't have any input on windscreen/bars.. I must like the taste of insects..!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
mik

I have a summer screen. Its not the easiest, for me at least, to put on and off. I would recommend getting higher quality nuts and bolts to start. Riding wise it was just fine, although I am going to try out the fly screen this year.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Recently I installed a Slipstream Viper SS-10 on the Speedmaster. I haven't ridden that much with it due to the winter weather but so far I really like it for function and looks. Quick disconnect too. About $90.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On 2007-01-28 18:26, miksail wrote:
First post to this forum...
I did a search and couldn't find any discussion of wind screen preference for the Speedmaster. Also wondering how many Speedy riders installed engine guards/freeway bars/ whatever you want to call them, and what type.
As soon as I have completely healed from breaking my neck while cashing my last bike, I plan to buy an '07 Speedy.

What wind screen did you choose and why?
Ditto engine guards?
You can check out my pics. I think I have some of the windshield I have on my TBA. It is a "Memphis Shades" brand. In regards to crash bars, newbonneville and bellacorse have some on their websites but I think they are too big, especially for the Speedy, since that is a sportier cruiser type bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a summer screen on the way from my Trumpy dealer. It should arrive in the next couple of days and I'll let you know how it goes. I purchased it with the bike for about $480.00 Australian.
The Triumph summer screen is not the easiest accessory to fit although it looks the goods and balances the bike when fitted with a sissy bar . I only had a chance for a short run after fitting it and found that it took a lot of pressure of my arms, but I felt that there was some more wind noise around my helmet. There was noise but I wouldn't say there was a lot of buffeting. I also found that the rubber edging fitted to the screen was in my line of sight and was annoying. I am not fully sold on the product and feel that a longer run with and without the screen on the same day might help. I'll keep you posted. For comparison I'm about 5'7" or 170Cm's. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
hi all, haven't been on here for a while but this one is currently on my hit list as far as purchases. I bought my speedie Sep last year with a summer screen already on it. Now originally I wasn't sure I was going to leave it on as for me, screens can detract from the overall look. Well, looks are one thing but practicallity is another and I realised as I love to do travelling miles, you wouldn't do it too long without one.

So, overall the screen is good but not as good as it should be. This is because it is not high enough to stop the my head getting buffetted all the time. Now over short distances this is not a big deal but if riding for hours, then it gets really tiring and detracts from the overall riding fun.

My solution will be to buy a screen which is higher and after doing some research here and on the other site, for me then the clearview 17" with light grey tint is probably the best.

nullhere's a thread from the other site talking about other riders experiences

Here's the clearview site with the 17" screen.

So for me, this is going to be my next purchase. In fact I may even order it today. One thing though, this screens doesn't come with any hardware as it's designed to use the summer screen one's.

Anyway, I hope this helps you to see what I and others think. Of course we all have different tastes and requirements because of our sizes etc but overall I just think the summer screen isn't tall enough unless you are really short in the torso.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best wishes for a fast recovery, glad to still have you with us.
I put the $450.00 Triumph summer screen after trying a cheap, $90 handlebar mount. BIIIG difference. The Triumph version stabilizes the bike at highway speeds, the cheap 2-point mount scared me with all the buffeting.
Its still windy at the top of my helmet, but my face is relatively insect-free. I like mine, maybe you can test some before you buy.
I figure with the feet-forward position of the Speedy, there's no need for highway bars, but if you decide to go with them I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had the summer screen on for a little while now and have had a few short runs. The wind is lifted off my chest and the buffeting is reduced. I still haven't gotten used to the rubber edging in my sight and the reflections off the inside of the screen will take some more time to adjust to. A screen of some type will be a benefit in the winter months but will this one be enough? Not sure at the moment.
Keep the rubber side down! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts