Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all.

I own a 2007 Speedmaster (865cc). Last week my dealer fitted the Triumph Off Road Silencer (long slash cut) to my bike with some other accessories. I was told that as Triumph did not include any jets with the pipes, rejetting was not required. I have ridden around 200 kms and the left exhaust header has develped a golden discoloration. The right header is virtually tarnish free. Otherwise the bike goes well, with perhaps a little more pull at low revs. The sound from the TORS is magnificent, with enough pop and crackle on decel to put a grin on my face.

My question is, is it normal for double skin pipes to discolor? The golden hue doesn't bother me - but only if this is normal after fitting the TORS.

Thanks in advance for your answers...

·
Registered
192 Posts
the triumph twin pipes discolour because of the 'air injection' which is done for emission reasons. Do a search on 'AI removal'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I've read most of the threads. It seems as though there's lots of debate regarding the AI. My bike is running really well with the TOR pipes and I am reluctant to mess around with the anti pollution stuff. The jetting issue relating to the 865 engines has been answered for me in those threads (i.e. according to Triumph rejetting when fitting TORS is not required), so I am mostly curious about why double walled headers as fitted to the Speedmaster/America would discolor. Has any other Speedmaster owner had this discoloration/bluing? I now realise this is common with the single walled headers as fitted to the Bonnevilles etc., but the Speedmaster should be immune from this...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I got a little blue/gold on the left pipe of my SM, left as sitting on the bike, about 2 inches down the pipe, that's all in 15,000 miles. I still have AI. None really on the right. The gold and blue began with stock pipes, evident around 2000 miles. I later put on mid-length TORS, an older, hard-to-find-length, and the blue continued a little but then stopped at 2 inches. I get very little popping. Had short TORs on for a while before the mid-lengths. They were much louder, had more popping, and created more vibration in foot pegs and hand grips. I got rid of 'em. There are a lot of different variations of TORS, all kinds of different serial numbers on longs, shorts, and mids. Don't know why. I think they have different internal construction; some you can see straight through, others not. I think the shorts I had required rejetting, that's why I had so much popping and actually loud backfires. The mid-lengths are great, quieter and more mellow sounding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I returned to my Triumph dealer today and I checked out their America demo fitted with stock pipes and with 2500 Kms on the clock. This bike also had bluing/discloration on the left header - very little on the right. I am satisfied this is a normal occurence. Thanks for the help.

I'll take a pic of my bike and post it as soon as I get a nice day for the photograph...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Unlike Bonnies, Thruxtons, & Scrams, BA's & SM's have double-walled headers.

Your SM was most likely too lean with TORS & stock jets, regardless of what your dealer told you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unlike Bonnies, Thruxtons, & Scrams, BA's & SM's have double-walled headers.

Your SM was most likely too lean with TORS & stock jets, regardless of what your dealer told you.
+1 The bluing happened to mine which has long "straight through" slash cut TORs. I removed the AI and snorkels and rejeted. I removed the blueing on the pipes (tedious process) and it started to come back because I hadn't rejetted right away. With the rejetting done over a year ago, the bluing on the pipes hasn't returned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my 09 Speedmaster 2 months ago and both sides are already slightly golden colored after 200 miles.

After reading the posts, I won't worry about trying to get it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting, really.

My '08 EFI SM is just 1900 miles on clock, it's all stock with, of course, long stock exhausts (not TORs).
Differently than what I saw on my bikebro's '07 Carbs SM, mine seems run "colder" than '07 one (it has same mileage, it's stock also, just a lil' carbs rejetting to correct some lower grunt sporadic refusals...).

Curiously, my pipes gained a slight, diffused and stable golden colour (very nice, really) and my bikebro's one seems slightly going blue.
No L-R difference detected at moment on both bikes.

Happy colours, anyway... :)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I've got 25k on my speedy with thunderbike pipes and not even the slightest bit of discoloration to any degree. AI is gone since probably 1 or 2k miles. But in that time it should have discolored a bit at least. many say thiers did on the ride home from delivery at the dealer. Not sure why some do and some don't. But most cruisers i have seen don't have any because of the double wall headers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree.
Same matter for mine... the slight goldening just appeared during first travel, and reached its actual, seemingly final situation, within first hundred miles.

Nothing serious, and nothing unhappy, anyway...
I'd prefer guess how my SM would sound with Thunderpipes... ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've just come back from another 200 Km run. The header discoloration is settling down to a nice golden hue. Now that I know what it is, I think it's pretty cool. It gives my bike some character - a bike that's ridden and not just for show... :motorbike2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
6000 km and no discolour

I had the dealer remove the air injection from the get go after reading threads on this web page and I am very pleased (never really like the discolouration) 6000 km and not even a hit of colour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts