Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to find some information on the forum related to screens and what is best for what purpose. These does not seem to be any difinitive thread covering this topic. If there is, please point me in this direction.

My question is - how does one decide on what type of screen to purchase. There seem to be a number of types avaiblabe (Fly, Summer etc) and, OEM and aftermarket suppliers such as Dart.

Would appreciate any advice on this topic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had the Triumph Fly Screen fitted since new and I love it. It's excellent quality with a nice mix of dark smoke screen and chrome.

I can't comment on how the bike feels at speed without it, but fitted, buffeting isn't a problem all the way to 100mph, more comfortable at 80mph and non existant at 70mph.

Expensive but definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't comment on how the bike feels at speed without it, but fitted, buffeting isn't a problem all the way to 100mph, more comfortable at 80mph and non existant at 70mph.
Possibly a function of your height as well? How tall are you?

BTW, the 'brick' parked behind your Speedy reminds me of my dear of mum. She bought one of these back in 1973 - Mini Clubman, replacing a 1963 Mini 850, which she sold to me as my first car! Ah, memories. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Screens

I am 6 ft tall. I have the Triumph Roadster screen and the Triumph Fly screen. Roadster provides really good protection all the way to 100 mph, no problem with buffeting for me (others have complaints) and use it during colder winter months (Nov - March here in Houston). Fly screen is on spring thru fall. Looks great and provides some protection, but at 75 mph and over, huge difference with the Roadster screen. Both serve me well. For looks, Fly screen adds real nice touch to bike.

Ride and Enjoy!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roadster provides really good protection all the way to 100 mph, no problem with buffeting for me (others have complaints) and use it during colder winter months (Nov - March here in Houston).
Ah, sounds like you are living in the wrong climate. Mid-winter here in Sydney, and today and it is a 'cool' 21C (thats about 69F) :Happy:

I assume the Fly screen gives you some protection from chest buffeting only and the Roadster provides (some) helmet protection as well?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Possibly a function of your height as well? How tall are you?

BTW, the 'brick' parked behind your Speedy reminds me of my dear of mum. She bought one of these back in 1973 - Mini Clubman, replacing a 1963 Mini 850, which she sold to me as my first car! Ah, memories. :)
Only 5'9" and I tend to sit back, lean back and stretch my arms, so I'm probably keeping my head out of the turbulant stuff.

I've heard there's still plenty of Minis in Australia as they don't rust like ours do. Mine's a 1979 Mini 1000 auto that I've converted to manual with a 1275 Metro engine, fibreglass removeable front end and Nato green and black camo paint....

And talking of weather, we're having a 32C heatwave in the UK!!

Back on topic... I'm not a fan of looking through a screen when I'm riding, so for me it had to be just a fly screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dart

I have the Dart flyscreen, and can't believe how well it keeps wind off my chest. I still get wind on the helmet, but the air is clean without buffeting and little noise. It's the best accessory I've added to a bike. The Dart is highly recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts