Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've posted a few times before, i've decided to get off harleys after 40+ years. i went down and road the new speedmaster yesterday and fell in love. the riding position is simlar to my roadking but feels tons lighter. ive got a black and white one on the way, but would like some suggestions on saddlebags. i don't like the waxed cotton ones offered by triumph. i am at a bit of a toss up between hard bags and leather for one thing i called viking they don't offer a bag kit for the new speedmaster and i think that maybe a problem with other suppliers as well. i am very capable of fabricating my own brackets, but due to liability the suppliers are against doing so. have any of you guys put bags on the new s/m and if so what are you using? i'm used to the huge h/d bags but feel that bags that big would look out of proportion on the s/m.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Hi Larry- Congrats on the new Speedmaster. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago myself. I spent many years on Harleys also and sold my Road King for a new T120 last summer. I bought the Speedmaster for the more relaxed riding position like the RK. I'm not touring anymore and sure enjoy the lighter bikes.

I don't think there are too many of the '18 Speedmasters out there yet. As far as accessories, my dealer has only been able to get me the Comfort seats F&R. Nothing else. I have the backrest and luggage rack on order. Looking at some aftermarket windshields if I decide to get one. Personally, I don't think I am going to add saddlebags. But I sure miss the convenience of them from the RK. I have a tank bag when needed and put a small bag on the rear for a few things.

If you head up the the "Water Cooled Twins Talk" section on the forum, there are quite a few threads about saddlebags and luggage. Here is just one thread that may give you a few ideas and options.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/781705-t120-luggage-saddlebags-thread.html

Enjoy the new bike and keep us posted on what you come up with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s m saddlebags

thanks for the info on the other forum, there is a lot there. other than the occasional two or three day trip me and the boss lady mostly ride on sundays. i'll be 73 in june and don't (can't) handle days in the saddle like in my younger days when i had to work and didn't have time for many trips. those big bags on my roadking have me spoiled. i'm trying to decide between leather and fiberglass bags, but want to be able to carry rainsuits leather jackets etc. i definitely don't want those boxes that look like pickup boxes you get at lowes or northern tool. it will be a few weeks before the bike comes in so i can keep doing research in thr meantime.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I don't think you can really make this bike into a mini-Road King. I look at it more as a very refined Sportster. However, any bike can be outfitted to take a road trip. It just depends on what you feel you need to bring with you and how you want to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
s m saddlebags

thanks for the info on the other forum, there is a lot there. other than the occasional two or three day trip me and the boss lady mostly ride on sundays. i'll be 73 in june and don't (can't) handle days in the saddle like in my younger days when i had to work and didn't have time for many trips. those big bags on my roadking have me spoiled. i'm trying to decide between leather and fiberglass bags, but want to be able to carry rainsuits leather jackets etc. i definitely don't want those boxes that look like pickup boxes you get at lowes or northern tool. it will be a few weeks before the bike comes in so i can keep doing research in thr meantime.
Have you considered Heco and Becker rugged saddlebags? (c-bow mounted)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts