Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i may have mad a big messup, last night i was ajusting the chaine to get it as per the book and had some problems deciding the correct rear wheel alignment, on the swingarm on the speedmaster there are 2 dots either side above the alignment bracket,

the question is do i align the wheel to the dots on either side or to the end on the swing arm?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Not sure if the Speedmaster is like the Bonneville, but it probably is

There is a small index mark on the moving part of the chain adjuster, on each side. Each index mark--left and right--needs to be at the same position relative to the marks on the frame on each side.

In other words, if the right side is indexed exactly at the second dot, then the left side needs to be indexed exactly at the second dot as well. The issue is not where the index mark winds up--you judge that by the chain slack measurement--but rather that both sides end up in the same position relative to each other; you gauge that by the dots on the frame.

Re-check the chain tension and alignment after you tighten everything, as the tightening can throw it off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, what is thowing me is do i align it against the dot on either side pressed into the frame of the ends of the swing arm as the manual seems to sugest, they both provide diferent alignments, i think its the dots as if i do it by the end of the swing arm it dont look rite

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Some owners claim that the dots are misaligned with each other on their particular bikes.

The other way to do the alignment is to use two long straightedges, but it's a more involved procedure and I haven't done it. If you search, you should be able to find some postings detailing that procedure.

One day, I might do the straightedge procedure to confirm the accuracy of my alignment marks, but I have no reason to believe that they're off on my bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used a straight edge with marks on it for the distance from the "right" outside edge of chain at the rear sprocket and then put a mark on the far end of the straight edge and put back in against the sprocket and then turned the adjustment bolt on the left side until it also was on the matching mark. BUT, then the distance from frame end to face of thick washer was different ( right side 21.38mm - left side 19.68mm ) so which is it chain being straight or the measurement of space at the adjustment bolt?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I use the motion pro chain alignment tool(cheap peace of mind) and have found that the adjusters arent quite perfectly symmetrical on either my Bonneville or Speedmaster(same setup as the rest). Both my bikes appear to have had some ham fisted prior owner crank on the adjusters before the wheel was loosened and tweaked/squished them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use the motion pro chain alignment tool(cheap peace of mind) and have found that the adjusters arent quite perfectly symmetrical on either my Bonneville or Speedmaster(same setup as the rest). Both my bikes appear to have had some ham fisted prior owner crank on the adjusters before the wheel was loosened and tweaked/squished them.
THIS! Buy one! Worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts