Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys had the TOR Short cut pipes added a few weeks ago, i have noticed when roling down hill a low RPM the bike back fires quite a bit, rollling above 2500 rpm it does not do it.

is this normal ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
hi guys had the TOR Short cut pipes added a few weeks ago, i have noticed when roling down hill a low RPM the bike back fires quite a bit, rollling above 2500 rpm it does not do it.

is this normal ?
Have you re-jet your carburettors?
Mild popping on decell is normal but loud backfiring is not. Loud backfiring (not mild popping) is usually an indication of a lean fuel/air mixture or an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you re-jet your carburettors?
Mild popping on decell is normal but loud backfiring is not. Loud backfiring (not mild popping) is usually an indication of a lean fuel/air mixture or an exhaust leak.
Injected!
I had this a happen with my new America with the short TORS. Happened on a warm day riding through the city.Sounded real interesting echoing off buildings and cages!Have you had the ECU remapped? I believe this is supposed to be done when TORS are fitted to the new EFI bikes.I have yet to question my dealer if they did this to mine.Had the pipes fitted prior to pickup.
I also wonder if it would be worth removing the AI system as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes i had it remaped as well, i had to wait the extra 20 minutes for them to do it, perhaps she is running a little lean at low rpm with the new maps when not under load

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your bike is injected.
My '09 Bonneville is also fuel injected.
I had my Triumph dealer upload a richer map (they had 2 to choose from). I went with the richer of the 2 because I figured I'd leave the baffles out.
My Tors don't backfire or even pop much.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just rang my dealer regarding this and they tell me most adamantly DONT remove the AI system. With the EFI bikes Triumph dont recommend it as it will affect performance.(less power)
And they did remap mine.
One thing he did say was to use a bit more of trailing throttle on decel rather than closing the throttle completely.That is what I have found myself and it does make sure that the motor doesn't lean out too much causing excessive popping.
Just learn to enjoy the burbles and pops!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts