Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to remove the airbox from my '09 Speedmaster EFI and install pod filters. I want that exposed look so I'm going for a complete removal, lose the side panel, and relocate the battery.

So, seat and side panel off for a look and that airbox is properly jammed in there!

This is how the bike looked before I started on the mod..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unscrewed every screw and bolt I could get to, and removed the rear mudguard/fender. Snorkel came off easy enough and I separated the airbox lid from the main body but it's obviously not going to come out intact with the rear wheel in place.

Soldering iron through plastic like a knife through butter, straight down the middle, and airbox removed!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to retain the battery holder but relocate to just in front of the rear wheel.

The ignition barrel and fuse holder bracket was spot welded to the side of the battery tray. I drilled out the three spot welds and removed intact as will probably re-use.

The bottom bracket was also spot welded to the battery tray, so removed that too. Now left with a clutter free battery tray..

I want the battery as far back as possible to increase the size of the void under the seat. The tray holds the ECU behind the battery so the tray is about an inch too deep. Moving the battery to the back of the tray and cutting the front of the tray to make tabs, I trimmed the tray to fit..

I now need to make a bracket to install the battery tray somewhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I removed airbox last spring. I welded battery box to swingarm and have had zero problemos :)

Don't forget to install carb bracket ( a bar that bolts to carb and. frame. I bought mine but it is just a 3/4" x 1/8" bar about 4" or so long with a hole at each end ;) .
I would post picture but haven't figured out how with this new phone !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed airbox last spring. I welded battery box to swingarm and have had zero problemos :)

Don't forget to install carb bracket ( a bar that bolts to carb and. frame. I bought mine but it is just a 3/4" x 1/8" bar about 4" or so long with a hole at each end ;) .
I would post picture but haven't figured out how with this new phone !
Yeah I like the idea the box on the swing arm but I don't have access to a welder unfortunately. I have found a way of fixing it to the frame crosspiece that actually puts the battery quite far back.

Thanks for the heads up re the carb bracket, just noticed the FI unit does need support, would've missed that, cheers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, well the battery sits quite far back hanging from the frame cross piece..

I made a bracket from a square piece of steel sheet to fix the battery holder to the cross piece, bolting between the fender and the frame.
The steel sheet I had lying around isn't thick enough so there's too much flex. I'll get something made up with 2mm thick I reckon?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please can someone tell me what I need to do with these...

They were bolted into the airbox, they must be air sensors of some sort.

Also, the crankcase breather hose is fairly obvious so I'll stick a filter on the end. But not sure what this hose is for, anyone?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answered by Forchetto on another thread when I got desperate for an answer...

The first one is the Atmospheric pressure sensor and the second the IAT, Intake air temperature sensor.

You'll find another two components identical with the pressure sensor, just above the throttle bodies. They're the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors. Don't tamper with them or their hoses if you can help it.

The first one is fixed to the chasis, leave it more or less where it is and ensure the open spigot is not blocked by anything. The second needs to be fixed somewhere near the air intake to the Throttle bodies, in a place where it doesn't get the full blast of engine hot air but where it can sense the ambient temperature.

If you have pod filters with a metallic rear plate this sort of fixing for the IAT is ideal:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/178722-freak-its.html#post1944747
So I'll attach the IAT sensor to a K&N pod filter when I fit them. The AP sensor will go under the seat somewhere I guess.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The big hose came from the Air Injection system, so sod it, tank off and I ripped the bugger out!

Now I just need a couple of M12 bolts to plug the holes into the cylinder heads, and a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor to replace the solenoid.

If nothing else removing the AI creates some space under the tank and is in full compliance with the bobber ethos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts