Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an '05 Speedmaster with only 8K (bought with 5K) acting up. And I've got to use the cursed word "intermittent" to describe the problem.

Intermittently, my right cylinder will quit, and the bike will only run on the left cylinder. This has happened ONLY upon startup and ONLY AFTER running to hot (i.e., stopping for gas). It has NEVER happened on a cold start. This problem happened one time last summer, but I thought it was just a bad wire or something, because as I was troubleshooting and checking wires, it fired up fine again. And it didn't act up again after that....not during a 1500 mile roadtrip from southeast PA to Montreal and Quebec. And I rode well into November.

Since I've been running this spring, the problem has already occurred three times. I've tested for spark, switched plug wires, switched coils, and looked for a bad wire, bad ground, etc. What I do know is that it is def. only the righ cylinder that quits/gets no spark. I thought I just wasn't getting juice from the coil, so I replaced the right side one. But soon after...yep--she quit again.

The last two times this has happened, I decided to limp home. And while on my way (once after running only 5 minutes, the other time after running about 15-20 minutes) the cylinder just kicks in like nothing was ever wrong. This weekend after it acted up (only one time after a quick stop at a store), I ran all day with multiple stops and starts without another issue. The damn bike runs flawlessly....when both cylinders are running.

So...what else could be causing this problem other than the costly CDI? By the sounds of other posts, I am wondering if the CDI issue is more of a widespread problem than what is realized. Any help is much appreciated.

One last thing/fyi...I bought the bike only a summer ago along the coast of Massachusettes. It had sat for some time in a shed, and although it was well-maintained, it had some of that very minor characteristic salt-air/dampness oxidation a bike gets when it sits for awhile. I've put about 3K on the bike since I've owned it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
me too

I'm having the same problem. I plan to swap out the coil and check the coil pickup sensor gap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
good idea

I'm having the same problem. I plan to swap out the coil and check the coil pickup sensor gap.

After trying the new coil solution without success, I'm out $140, but at least I have a good spare coil on hand. What's more, the problem just got worse after switching out the coil. In fact, the last day it occured, I couldn't get the cylinder to fire at all, even when she was completely cooled. And that NEVER happened before. So I just kept trouble-shooting.

Last Sunday when she was limping on only the left cylinder, I had no choice. It was either load her up and head for the Triumph shop or keep digging. So I made my list and stopped feeling sorry for myself.

First, I checked the battery. It was almost fully charged, but I topped it off anyway. Went over all wiring again. Was getting spark into the coil, but it wasn't coming out the discharge end (where plug wire connects). Didn't have an OHM meter, but was thinking maybe the input spark was just too weak. Thought maybe it was because the ignition sensor was spent or as others have suggested, just out of gap. With no other options or ideas, I cracked the case and checked the gap. It was actually beyond 1.0mm, so I re-gapped to .816mm. Now, here's the thing....

At the same time I re-gapped the sensor, I also found the disconnect plug for the sensor wire underneath the seat. It did appear a bit dusty; however, the inside seemed to look okay. Nonetheless, I sprayed the hell out of it with good sensor-sensitive electrical spray and worked it back and forth a number of times and then let dry.

I then put the case back in place and just held it there with my hands while a buddy of mine cranked the motor. And VOILA!

That was last Sunday. Since then, I've been on the bike three days, including a multi-start/stop 4-hour round trippper just yesterday. And she's been running perfectly without a single failure.

So check that gap and fiddle with that sensor wire, and don't forget the plug under the seat. And let me know what you find on yours. I can't say which it was that fixed her or even say for sure she's fixed. You know how these finnicky intermittent issues go. I'll keep posting updates, and I'll certainly post if the problem returns. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good idea

After trying the new coil solution without success, I'm out $140, but at least I have a good spare coil on hand. What's more, the problem just got worse after switching out the coil. In fact, the last day it occured, I couldn't get the cylinder to fire at all, even when she was completely cooled. And that NEVER happened before. So I just kept trouble-shooting.

Last Sunday when she was limping on only the left cylinder, I had no choice. It was either load her up and head for the Triumph shop or keep digging. So I made my list and stopped feeling sorry for myself.

First, I checked the battery. It was almost fully charged, but I topped it off anyway. Went over all wiring again. Was getting spark into the coil, but it wasn't coming out the discharge end (where plug wire connects). Didn't have an OHM meter, but was thinking maybe the input spark was just too weak. Thought maybe it was because the ignition sensor was spent or as others have suggested, just out of gap. With no other options or ideas, I cracked the case and checked the gap. It was actually beyond 1.0mm, so I re-gapped to .816mm. Now, here's the thing....

At the same time I re-gapped the sensor, I also found the disconnect plug for the sensor wire underneath the seat. It did appear a bit dusty; however, the inside seemed to look okay. Nonetheless, I sprayed the hell out of it with good sensor-sensitive electrical spray and worked it back and forth a number of times and then let dry.

I then put the case back in place and just held it there with my hands while a buddy of mine cranked the motor. And VOILA!

That was last Sunday. Since then, I've been on the bike three days, including a multi-start/stop 4-hour round trippper just yesterday. And she's been running perfectly without a single failure.

So check that gap and fiddle with that sensor wire, and don't forget the plug under the seat. And let me know what you find on yours. I can't say which it was that fixed her or even say for sure she's fixed. You know how these finnicky intermittent issues go. I'll keep posting updates, and I'll certainly post if the problem returns. Good luck.

My next step is replacing the ignition (coil pickup) sensor. Is there any good way to test those other than just swapping out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
issue identified: exceptional Triumph customer service

Thanks for the great tech tip and the service bulletin info, fellas (see: "ignition sensor" thread). A couple of weeks ago I had checked and re-adjusted the gap without resolution. I also went over all the wires and plugs again...for about the tenth time and found nothing. The problem continued. But I kept at it.

Finally, I bit the bullet and went to local T shop. I consuted with the tech who did some digging and poking, and he said I did everything he would have done. All factors considered, he was thinking CDI. But the shop didn't have a spare box lying around to test. So before jumping into a new $700 box, I called T Customer Service in Georgia for advice...and to see if they could send a used box to the dealer.

The headquarters' service guy spent a half hour with me on the phone and basically said all I could do at this point was start replacing things. Before thinking ignitor box, he said the next logical part to replace was the ignition sensor for $70. However, the local T tech (and I) both thought if the sensor was bad, I'd be having issues with both cylinders in the same way. Nonetheless, I bought the sensor but decided to hold off on the replacement until the next time the bike acted up.

In the meantime, I heard about some really good techs at another T shop almost two hours away--racing guys who also service Aprilia and Ducati and just about anything that runs. They've got an old head there with 36 years of wrenching and racing under his belt. So the next day I saddled up and took off.

Half way along the trip to the distant shop, I dropped the cylinder mid-cruise. But it picked up again after a couple of slow and easy miles. I made it the rest of the way without failure, but once up on the dyno, the cylinder dropped again--thankfully. This gave the tech the perfect opportunity to troubleshoot.

Long story short, this tech also thought if it was the sensor causing the issue, then both cylinders would be problematic, so he wanted to rule out CDI right away. Unfortunately, they had only one 270 CDI in the whole place--none new--(for testing)...and that came out of the old head's prize, custom Scrambler! Sure enough, multiple swaps between the two proved that my ignitor box was faulty.

The good news is that the problem has been identified. The better news is that Triumph has proved itself an honorable and noble company. Even though the bike is two years out of warranty, they are helping me out considerably with the cost of the new CDI.

Especially in this day and age, I feel shocked at the exceptional customer service Triumph has given to me. Every step of the way the company rep. gave me his respectful, undivided attention--me, a random guy a thousand miles away who is having some eletrical issue with an '05 Speedmaster, for godsake! He really put himself in my riding boots. And most nobly, in the end, he honored something far more important than the expired paper warranty that came with the bike. He stood by his company's good name and handshake, and he solidified my belief in and loyalty to Triumph.

For years I've been telling my Harley friends--all of whom feel tired of arm wrestling the "higher-than-mighty" area Harley shops to get rightful warranty work and just simply good customer service--that Triumph has always treated me great...ever since I started tinkering with my first '72 Tiger 650 years ago. From the small, friendly, local T shop guys all the way to the big Georgia headquarters, they've demonstrated what others just talk about. As their loyal customer, Triumph again showed me that my satisfaction and the quality of their bikes are most important to them. No arm wrestling required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I swapped out the trouble side coil and that didn't fix it. I checked the Battery connections, I checked the pickup coil connector under the seat, I checked the pickup coil gap. everything checks out okay. Mines 1 year out of warranty. I have the exact same problem as you. Only does it on startup or after riding and shutting off. Mine's never shut off in mid-ride tho.I guess I'll have to go to Triumph and hope they'll be as good to me as they were to you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I swapped out the trouble side coil and that didn't fix it. I checked the Battery connections, I checked the pickup coil connector under the seat, I checked the pickup coil gap. everything checks out okay. Mines 1 year out of warranty. I have the exact same problem as you. Only does it on startup or after riding and shutting off. Mine's never shut off in mid-ride tho.I guess I'll have to go to Triumph and hope they'll be as good to me as they were to you.
Mine started out that same way and later got worse. I am currently heading along the same path that RK went. the dealer is sorting it out with the triumph. Hopefully it all gets settled out as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the exact same problem on a '06 Scrambler and tried everything you did. I'm the bikes second owner, so no warranty :mad:. Looks like I'll be having to spend the big bucks on this.
Who did you talk to at Triumph that helped get you a discount on a new CDI module?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mine started out that same way and later got worse. I am currently heading along the same path that RK went. the dealer is sorting it out with the triumph. Hopefully it all gets settled out as well.
a couple of days after i posted this, triumph came thru with a new ignitor module. THe dealer got them to cover it under warrantee. The missing spark problems are totally gone. Runs great. It had quit 2 twice on the ride over to the dealer previously.

I guess they are sending the old ignitor back to the factory. Would be nice to know what was wrong with it, but I doubt there will be any feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bad ignitor

Sure sounds like this could be a bigger issue for Triumph...or really, for the ignitor manufacturer Gill. Anyhow, I'm currently on the road and have limited info with me. I contacted Triumph in Georgia and asked for "customer service re: a mechanical problem with my bike." The person I spoke with at the Georgia site is Peter. Again, we was very helpful and some kind of head engineer/manager of the techs at the plant. I didn't get his full name yet, but I plan to when I return so I can write some letters.

Yes, I would've loved to open up the old CDI just to take a look. But the shop had to send it to Georgia after the swap. Also, folks at Georgia needed to confirm the problem with a certified tech/shop before getting into a CDI discussion. So get to a Triumph shop, or some tech who is connected with Georgia if you can.

Man, good luck to you guys. It's a miserable problem, but the fix can't be simpler. I hope Triumph continues to honor their good name and stand behind their product.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just started having the exact same problem with my '05 Speedmaster. I called my dealer yesterday and they told me the part is on backorder with no known date for restock, ***? Guess I'll try checking the ignition sensor gap and then start making phone calls to dealers to see if any happen to have one of these. I just sold the bike, the new owner is flying in later this week to ride it home (1K miles) and now this.

My part number is 1-292370 if anyone here happens to know of a CDI unit on hand somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally brought my '06 Scrambler back to the dealer (100 mile trip one way). It looks like Triumph is going to cover the cost of the part even though the bike is out of warranty, but I don't know how long it will take them to get the part.
The dealer did say that the ignition module will have to come from England but gave no hint of how long that will take.
So far Triumph's customer service has been good but I just hope that they can get my bike running right again before summer is over.
Anybody here know how long it takes for this part to come in?
Are the new modules improved or should I be expecting this problem again in a few more years?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know parts fail, that's just life. But for Triumph to say they don't have any and don't know when they'll get any more is absolutely unacceptable!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know parts fail, that's just life. But for Triumph to say they don't have any and don't know when they'll get any more is absolutely unacceptable!
Just to be fair, my dealer hasn't told me that yet.
All I've been told is that the part is not in the US and will have to come from England. But I don't know how long that will take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was taken to the dealer today on a flatbed. What started as an occasional problem is now constant, runs only on left cylinder right from the start. Now just the wait...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got some good news today, Triumph approved the warranty claim for a replacement CDI on my '05 Speedmaster. Hopefully the part will ship next week from England as there are none here in the US. If you're having a problem, get your bike to a dealer!

·
Registered
13 Posts
05 Speedy ignition problem

Same problem here. Right pot stops firing intermittently usually for 5 minutes or so.
I initially suspected it might be a right carb issue.
I took it to my local Triumph dealer for repair and a tune. They checked the carbs over and gave it a tune, swapped over the coils and checked connections etc. They couldn't find a problem or get it to stop firing while it was in the shop or during a test ride.
$100 thank you. Fair enough.
I Installed new Nology Profire coils and Hotwire leads plus new iridium plugs, Ran great for days then played up like a second hand lawnmower again. Same issue with right cylinder cutting out. I was fiddling around with it today and started thinking CDI?
From reading these posts it seems I'm not alone with this problem.
I will replace the CDI unit and see how we go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
try a swap

Same problem here. Right pot stops firing intermittently usually for 5 minutes or so...
I will replace the CDI unit and see how we go.
Suggestion: if you have any way to do it, swap yours out with another before dumping all that cash...maybe your local dealer has a used Speedy/Scrambler sittin' around... or go thru them to contact Triumph headquarters. It was definitely worth my time and effort to do so. Good luck.

Also fyi: just finished a week-long round-tripper from Portland, OR,to Vancouver, BC, and back. Ran perfectly every step of the way. Prior to this trip, I was still feeling a bit leery about the CDI fix, but I am now 100% confident that was the problem. I feel like I can again depend on my Triumph, and that's a good feeling.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts