Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself, along with some other Scrambler owners, would love to re-locate the rear brake caliper to the topside of the rear arm. This is ultimately where it belongs if you want better ground clearance for "Scrambling". So far only one Scrambler owner (that I'm aware of) has successfully accomplished this by having one milled from Aluminum. The result looks perfect, but that's not easily done and expensive.
The America / Speedmaster rear caliper is mounted on the topside of the arm. Another Scrambler owner tried bolting the bracket onto the Scrambler, but the caliper sits too high on the disc, and ultimately wouldn't work. The rear disc on the Speed is larger than the one one the Scram and mounts to the hub with five bolts rather than four. Finding another disc for the Scrambler and replacing the caliper with one from a Speed might work, but would cost.
I'd love to get this done at a reasonable price.
So the rear caliper bracket from a Speed does mount to the Scram arm fine, and the Scrambler caliper fits as well, but doesn't hit the disc right. Could the rear caliper bracket from a Speed be milled down, and drilled out to accept the Scrambler caliper at the appropriate height to hit the disc? Or is this a recipe for disaster? What do you guys think?

First thumbnail is the Speedmaster, second is the Scrambler, third is the Speed bracket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't just lay the Scrambler bracket on the Speedmaster bracket and use it as a template (just flip it over). You will probably need to use washers to shim it, but its certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know an excellent machinist who makes billet odds and ends me me from time to time. His prices are very reasonable. Actually he hasn't charge me for anything yet. He does a lot of aircraft and Harley stuff. he wants to do some Triumph parts. He wanted to make primary covers for me, but I said I didn't want any. If we made 2 of these things, I can't imagine it being more than $50 each. For 4, probably even less. I just looked at my bike. This would be easy to do just by using a scrambler bracket as a template, but making sure it was in the right spot at the top. What about the brake line? That would need to be replaced right? It looks too short.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the caliper sat at the very top of the disc, the line would probably need to be lengthened. I think it needs to be at the top to allow clearance for the shocks. Using the stock one as a template could work.
For $50 I'd be down for having one made. That sounds very reasonable. I figured it would be a lot of work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry for jumping in late but I'm British, wadaya expect?

Anyway, I was looking at ways to flip my 04 Bonnie rear caliper bracket. Being afeared of nowt I was going to cut the existing one - however.

If your man is making them and could post (see ship) to UK I too would be interested. Just bare aluminium, pref shiny.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed the Free Spirits version (got it on eBay for $38 new) and they don't give you a brake hose. It should be 3-4 inches longer than stock. I had to order a custom cable from Spiegler Performance Parts. Get the TTP bracket which has everything you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts