Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I really did try to search first - and no, I won't ask about oil on my next post).
I've only got 1,200 miles on my Speedie, but am thinking about taking her to Montana this June - about a 3,000 mile round trip. I love the Rosso Corsa 3's, but from everything I've read, the mileage just isn't going to be there, and I do not want to see cords coming through in the middle of Wyoming, on a Sunday. My hunch is I'll get 3-3,500K on the rear; the front twice that. Has anyone tried something with longer tread life that they would recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you mean Diablo Rosso 3 or Rosso Corsa 2? Diablo Rosso 3 is what comes on the bike from the factory, Rosso Corsa 2 is a different model tire that's more aggressive. No such thing as Rosso Corsa 3 yet.

Assuming you mean the stock Diablo Rossos, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to be riding bolt upright on the highway the whole time. I changed my stock rear at 5,500 miles and it still had some life left, probably could have squeezed another 1,000 miles out of it. Still running the stock front at 10,000 miles but it's almost down to the wear bars. There's tons of reviews on Revzilla if you want to see more results from others.

·
Registered
Speed Twin
73 Posts
Hi
7500km to steel on my original. 9500km each on Pirelli Angel GT2. I didn't find any real difference in handling. Will be putting third GT on in 2 weeks. Front original lasted 16000km.
If you ride spirited I think you will be cutting it close. I believe it's the 270deg firing that wears the rears. Just like my Ducati did. Sprint got 15000km from Angels on rear.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My Speed Twin has 3500 miles on it. The rear is just about to the wear bars. No doubt that it will be worn past the wear bars before 5000. Not sure what I will get but am leaning towards the Angel GT2.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean Diablo Rosso 3 or Rosso Corsa 2? Diablo Rosso 3 is what comes on the bike from the factory, Rosso Corsa 2 is a different model tire that's more aggressive. No such thing as Rosso Corsa 3 yet.

Assuming you mean the stock Diablo Rossos, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to be riding bolt upright on the highway the whole time. I changed my stock rear at 5,500 miles and it still had some life left, probably could have squeezed another 1,000 miles out of it. Still running the stock front at 10,000 miles but it's almost down to the wear bars. There's tons of reviews on Revzilla if you want to see more results from others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a33maxi, my mistake; I was referring to the Rosso 3's the Speed Twin came with. I did check Revzilla before posting, and it wasn't too helpful. Mot tires are pretty good these days (except the Pirellis that came new on my Street Twin). On this trip, I will likely be riding all day at 75-80 MPH, with bags and camping gear, across nearly a thousand miles of flat, straight asphalt to get to the Rockies. From my experience, that eats up tires, and although I think the Rosso 3's are perfect for this bike, I may need someething that can go the distance. I've got Pilot 4's on a Guzzi Rosso Mandello, and the rear is going at 4K. The Angel GT's get great reviews, the GT2 not so much. I was just wondering what other Speed Twin owners thought of alternatives they had tried.

·
Registered
70 Posts
a33maxi, my mistake; I was referring to the Rosso 3's the Speed Twin came with. I did check Revzilla before posting, and it wasn't too helpful. Mot tires are pretty good these days (except the Pirellis that came new on my Street Twin). On this trip, I will likely be riding all day at 75-80 MPH, with bags and camping gear, across nearly a thousand miles of flat, straight asphalt to get to the Rockies. From my experience, that eats up tires, and although I think the Rosso 3's are perfect for this bike, I may need someething that can go the distance. I've got Pilot 4's on a Guzzi Rosso Mandello, and the rear is going at 4K. The Angel GT's get great reviews, the GT2 not so much. I was just wondering what other Speed Twin owners thought of alternatives they had tried.
Ok that makes sense. In that case, I'd probably get a new tire just to be safe.

I replaced my stock rear with an Angel GT2, and I'm happy with it so far. After 5,000 miles it's pretty squared off but still has plenty of tread depth left. Definitely better than the stock Rossos, although I think I'll try the Michelin Road 5 or the Dunlop Roadsmart next.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
255 Posts
I would retire to something longer lasting. Be careful to check width of rear tire before you buy. The speed twin chain runs sorta close to the tire. I put a sport dunlop on and it rubbed. Dunlop replaced that tire with another that didn't rub. It was stock size not a little wider as the sport tire was.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Do they make the Michelin PR5s in the right size? When I was riding my Speed Triple, I found the Michelin gave me the best performance/durability/rain traction combo of any tire. Just the thing for a cross country trip.

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
409 Posts
Treat it to a tyre made in the UK (Avon Spirit ST) with the profit going back to the US (Copper tires owns Avon) best of both worlds! :) Every bit as good as the excellent a Michelin Pilot Road 5 but with a slightly sportier profile.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do they make the Michelin PR5s in the right size? When I was riding my Speed Triple, I found the Michelin gave me the best performance/durability/rain traction combo of any tire. Just the thing for a cross country trip.
Yup - the PR5's fit just perfect (160/60) - same chain clearance as the stock Rosso

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yup - the PR5's fit just perfect (160/60) - same chain clearance as the stock Rosso
There ya go, then. I love that tire...or, at least I did the PR4. I'm sure the 5 is better. It's a great all 'round street tire. The wheels on the Speed Twin were one of the things I was excited about when it came out. Though I like the look of the spokes on a classic Triumph better, the solid wheels give you a better choice of tires.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm about half way through the life of Road 5's on my Thrux and it looks like they will last at least 25% longer than the stock Pirellis. Crucially for a tour, they are way better on wet roads and as far as cornering confidence on dry roads, I don't feel any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I'm about half way through the life of Road 5's on my Thrux and it looks like they will last at least 25% longer than the stock Pirellis. Crucially for a tour, they are way better on wet roads and as far as cornering confidence on dry roads, I don't feel any difference.
Did you need weights when you balanced the tires?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Pushing 8500 on my original set of tires. Still not seeing cords on the rear. Lots of stop and go. Fair amount of hard launches from stop signs and red lights. Wonder what gives. I was planning on having both replaced during the 10k valve check.

·
Registered
2020 Street Triple RS; 2020 Speed Twin
25 Posts
Michelin Road 5s are super.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts