Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and noted there was a general Speed Twin Mods thread but thought it may be helpful to narrow threads down to specific mods (having searched the Thruxton threads this definitely would have helped me).

With that in mind I thought a suspension thread would be useful as it seems to be a common potential modification point.

I have a little experience doing this on a previous bike using KTech so I can comment on the quality of those as a brand for those interested.
I assumed I’d also go the KTech route with my Speed Twin however a friend is going the Tec Bike Parts route and this has possibly persuaded me down this route.

Ktech;
Dual Shock
Forks

Tec Bike Parts;
Dual shock
Forks

Of course on paper these components are very different but dependant on your needs and usage one (or others) may be more suited than the other.

My own experience with KTech is they are brilliant. However for this bike, dependent on riding needs, they, along with similar offerings from Nitron, Ohlins etc could be overkill. When I say overkill I mean spend vs reward...if money was no object I’d have the Ktechs just for the adjustability. But money is an is an object for me and on that basis Tec Bike Parts could be good bang for buck.

However not having tried them personally I can’t comment and hope someone else can.

My reason for this consideration is my last suspension upgrade on an XSR900 (very stiff, dangerously stiff on pot holes) I was persuaded away from the fully adjustable front cartridges and rear shock based on the bang for buck decision and the decision worked out.
Instead I was given front fork springs and a piston kit and a rear shock adjustable for height, preload and rebound.
The guys reasoning was “for the difference in price it’s not worth it for road use unless money is no object”
This advice rang true. I put 12000 miles on the bike, from touring to riding pretty hard in the twisties and very rarely missed the fully adjustability of my Street Triple before it.

Looking at the Tec Bike offering it essentially comes close to my previous XSR900 “sensible budget” KTech set up - in comparison only lacking rebound adjustment up front I believe.

So for me, and others I would guess, the question is will this be enough? Obviously this depends on riding but for clarity I refer to road riding, at pace, and not the track. So pot holes and road surface are

Long post but hopefully it may be helpful for those wondering the basics of what they may want or need in suspension. And also hopefully sparks some helpful debate and reviews of suspension options.

If this has already been covered I apologise - put it down to newbie mistakes.

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
808 Posts
I’m heading the way of the tec progressive springs on the front. The roads I ride are rough enough and the front is too harsh. I fitted the tec fork top adjusters but doesn’t do enough for me.
Not too sure about the tec rear shocks. I agree with you on the K tech stuff I have K tech internals in an old Daytona 900 and it’s lovely over the rough stuff without being too soft for pushing on.

·
Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
207 Posts
I was looking at Tec for my T120 suspension upgrades as I just fitted their rebel 2-1 exhaust and delighted with it, but the rear shock and fork springs are all out of stock so I have bought Hagon 2810 with rebound adjustment from:
Dual Shocks Triumph Bonneville T120 from 2016 ----down near bottom of page after Nitro's
£200 seems a fair price.

·
Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
207 Posts
I am removing a pair of IKON 7610 shocks, they were on my speedmaster but feel a bit too hard for my weight 80kg on the T120 probaly suited to someone 90kg plus. going cheap!!

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Be interested to hear your thoughts. The rear shocks are out of stock for the Speed Twin also. Emailed them at the weekend and they confirmed they can’t really build them at present with the current distance working requirements in the UK.

They did however have the fork upgrade in stock for the Speed so I pulled the trigger on it. Figured if they don’t quite fit my needs at least I can review and sell on to someone who’s needs they will fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am removing a pair of IKON 7610 shocks, they were on my speedmaster but feel a bit too hard for my weight 80kg on the T120 probaly suited to someone 90kg plus. going cheap!!
I’m 80kg myself (and should be lighter if I wasnt eating pure junk during lockdown) so not good for me I’m afraid. Hopefully will be for someone else on here though.

·
Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
207 Posts
cool will report back on the Hagons when I get em fitted and tested

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
262 Posts
Installed the tec preload adjusters and progressive springs for front on my speed twin. I considered the front harsh on large sharp edges bumps. The combo did improve the ride and got rid of some of the harshness. But it's not a night and day difference, just a slight improvement.

I considered the rear shocks harsh to a lesser extent. They seem to be getting better with miles, about 4000. Not quality units just acceptable.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I considered the rear shocks harsh to a lesser extent. They seem to be getting better with miles, about 4000. Not quality units just acceptable.
Yes, I have noticed that both the front and rear seem to get better with use (but it could just as easily be me getting used to them). Regardless, I don't think I could justify spending quite a lot of $$ for the marginal gain - I find the stock set up pretty good - limitations only get noticeable if really pushing on and even then its not scary or anything

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the tec preload adjusters and progressive springs for front on my speed twin. I considered the front harsh on large sharp edges bumps. The combo did improve the ride and got rid of some of the harshness. But it's not a night and day difference, just a slight improvement.

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled trigger on the springs and adjusters. I'm not looking for night and day to be honest. Just a tweak in the right direction.
At least for now. I think £500 per end (if lucky) for a full upgrade is a big spend and I'd need to really know I'd got to the bikes limitations to spend it.

Sorry I can't quite follow your second statement - is it referring to the stock shocks or the Tec Bike?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
262 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled trigger on the springs and adjusters. I'm not looking for night and day to be honest. Just a tweak in the right direction.
At least for now. I think £500 per end (if lucky) for a full upgrade is a big spend and I'd need to really know I'd got to the bikes limitations to spend it.

Sorry I can't quite follow your second statement - is it referring to the stock shocks or the Tec Bike?

Thanks
I was referring to the stock shocks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to say having fitted the Ohlins cartridges to the front end of my Bobber it was worth every penny. Roads which before fitting them fed back constant movement to the bars now feel like riding on glass. The oem rear shock on the Bobber is pretty naff. It has no adjustment for preload or damping, so if you happen to be the right weight range its OK. However if you are lighter than say 80Kg or much heavier then its not so great. I replaced that with a Nitron built to my weight. Again for me its money well spent, but then I plan on keeping the bike for years. If you chop the bike in every three years then you will never recoup the outlay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feedback like this is exactly what I think is needed for others to make an educated decision.
Was your main aim to smooth out the bumps and increase comfort as I think this info will be useful too?
Is there any reason you went with a mix of Ohlins and Nitron? Keen to know what brought you to those items.

Agree with what you're saying RE payback over 3 years. When I say bang for buck I'm not necessarily looking for return on investment money wise (I have no plan to trade this bike in, it's the base of a pretty much dream bike for me).
And I think anyone hoping that with any upgrade should write it off as it rarely pays back in that sense.

It's more whether a full branded suspension swap is needed for me to meet my expectations or could I meet it for the lesser spend (my assumption is the same info could be helpful for those dipping in like I have many a time too).
If I had the cash spare I'd go for some full cartridges up front and fully adjustable piggy backs up back for sure as it definitely will meet it then. But if I can make it work on my current budget (which could be a mild compromise) then that's a win and more cash for other mods then :)

My aim is to get some info about what's available and what to expect (for myself and others).
And oftentimes people don't have that cash or can't justify the cash of a big brand swap and write off more basic upgrades that could actually suit them. If that makes sense.

But also the opposite is true of course and people hope for pure comfort and perfect handling without paying for fully adjustable set up.

I think both ends of the spectrum can help people reading figure out what they most likely need based on others experiences.

Thanks for the input. Keen to hear more RE the choices and why.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to say having fitted the Ohlins cartridges to the front end of my Bobber it was worth every penny. Roads which before fitting them fed back constant movement to the bars now feel like riding on glass. The oem rear shock on the Bobber is pretty naff. It has no adjustment for preload or damping, so if you happen to be the right weight range its OK. However if you are lighter than say 80Kg or much heavier then its not so great. I replaced that with a Nitron built to my weight. Again for me its money well spent, but then I plan on keeping the bike for years. If you chop the bike in every three years then you will never recoup the outlay.
For some reason my reply didn't reply to you. So it's above in case it's not clear to people who that reply is to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For some reason my reply didn't reply to you. So it's above in case it's not clear to people who that reply is to.
I bought the Nitron because if I am honest its one of those rare things these days "Made in England" and the oem Bobber shock is in my view a disposable item. The main alternatives were Ohlins, which are a bit hard to locate on line in the UK, or Wilbers. The Nitron is a pretty classy item, though in hindsight I would probably specify a different spring colour as their standard turquoise is a bit loud :)

The oem front forks I wasn't really unhappy with if I am honest. However I had the cash spare and in the Bobber sub forum there is a chap from Sweden who wrote a long post about how happy he was after fitting the Ohlins cartridges to his Speedmaster. I wasn't really sure they would make a substantial improvement, but I was really impressed with them. However if you do go down that route bear in mind that getting the bolts out of the bottom of the forks can be a major pita. I ended up having to drill mine out after my impact driver twisted an 8mm allen bolt like a bit of fusilli pasta!!

Hopefully someone who has tweaked the oem Speed Twin forks or added the progressive springs can chip in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the Nitron because if I am honest its one of those rare things these days "Made in England" and the oem Bobber shock is in my view a disposable item. The main alternatives were Ohlins, which are a bit hard to locate on line in the UK, or Wilbers. The Nitron is a pretty classy item, though in hindsight I would probably specify a different spring colour as their standard turquoise is a bit loud :)

The oem front forks I wasn't really unhappy with if I am honest. However I had the cash spare and in the Bobber sub forum there is a chap from Sweden who wrote a long post about how happy he was after fitting the Ohlins cartridges to his Speedmaster. I wasn't really sure they would make a substantial improvement, but I was really impressed with them. However if you do go down that route bear in mind that getting the bolts out of the bottom of the forks can be a major pita. I ended up having to drill mine out after my impact driver twisted an 8mm allen bolt like a bit of fusilli pasta!!

Hopefully someone who has tweaked the oem Speed Twin forks or added the progressive springs can chip in.
To be honest when I went with KTech on my old bike one of the influencing factors were they were a UK manufacturer - I like to buy from UK companies where I can - support local economy, less air miles delivery etc. Same as why Tec Bike are on the list.

Btw I had the red spring on my KTech rear shock painted black. The suspension shop offered it as an option for about 20 quid I think. And said it would have no effect on the spring (something I've seen noted as a possible concern before). May be worth considering. Although I do quite like the light blue on the Nitron.

Thanks for he note on the forks. If I do the springs and adjusters only I'll do it myself. But I think for a cartridge swap, especially noting your warning, I'll probably take it to a shop as I don't have a garage so just work on paddock stands in a parking space and that may be a bit of a complex on with my set up!

So other than the colour may not be ideal for some the Nitron sound like a good investment. I'll keep them on my potentials list.
Tec Bike don't have their rear shock in at the moment so am swaying towards going to the branded options.

Btw did you say you went for the fully adjustable model - both rebound and compression damping dials?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So as an update for those that may be dipping in, I’ve gone with the Tec Bike progressive front springs and fork adjusters up front.
And debating waiting for Tec Bike’s UK stock for rear shocks vs potentially trying another brand. Not confirmed which yet.

A friend with a Speed Twin is doing something similar although may go a slightly different route so I’ll report back on his results also.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts