Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
A steering damper is not directly related to suspension, and the issues you mention are tyre related. As your tyres wear flat from commuting they will track more and more on road imperfections, so make sure they are fully up to pressure to maintain a good profile. Being only 5PSI down will exaggerate the front feel that it's pulling to the side when you go over white lines or seams on the road.
Which tyre to get? I honestly don't overly worry about it. I've tracked on all types, and some take longer to warm up than others, but commuting is not a race track so it's best to choose a tyre for any temperature.
I'm currently using the Pilot Road 5. We sell lots of them, and the only issue we've ever seen is some scalloping on the front on some bikes. Maintaining pressures correctly reduces this, and you get a long life out of a tyre that behaves adequately on the road and well in the wet.
If you get something like the Corsa you will have a fantastically sticky tyre from cold, great for stopping, but it will wear very quickly, so the issues you mention will be worse.
For your suspension, take it to any suspension place and in 20min they will make huge improvements even with the stock setup. The stock system is not great, and far too harsh for these bikes, but if you're prepared to spend money you can get weight matched springs and potentially re-shimming done. Start cheap though, and see what you think if the stock setup is tidied up before you splash out too much.
I have compression all the way off, rebound dialed well down. Preload won't make any difference unless the bikes is topping out because you're too light (or the springs are too strong). An hour spent getting it sorted professionally is better than asking in a forum.
We do free suspension setup days every few months to attract in new customers. Ask around your area, and see if any bike mechanics do the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[...]
I have compression all the way off, rebound dialed well down. Preload won't make any difference unless the bikes is topping out because you're too light (or the springs are too strong). An hour spent getting it sorted professionally is better than asking in a forum.
Are we talking about the same bike here? The Speed Twin has preload adjustment only, and only in the rear. After spending many days riding twisties at varying speeds this past summer, I'm firmly of the belief that the stock suspension for this bike just doesn't live up to the full potential of the beautiful motor and frame geometry. I'll be saving up for Ohlins or Nitron front & rear replacements, and I'd suggest OP do the same if they want to minimize deflection on twisty roads. I don't think tires are going to be enough of a needle-mover on this bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ll throw my hat in the ring for some personal experience. I bought a 2016 Truxton classic someone turned into a Street twin. It has fully adjustable Cartridge front end and nice fully adjustable rear shocks. There’s about two grand in suspension work done on this bike. Also, it has new Avon Spirit tires. The bike rides well and handles like it is on rails. It does not track road imperfections. So with proper suspension and tires the bike has no problems. I would start with tires. I love the Stock tires on your bike but maybe they have odd wear. Then have a suspension guru check the bike out with you sitting on it. Find out what is required to get it right. It might be some minor tweaking to get the best set up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had excactly the same problem with my 2017 T100.
I changed the tyres to Scorpion Traik II and the bike tracks like an arrow even in grooves and cracks in the road.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts