Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 160 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Anyone think the Thruxton fairing would fit the Speed Twin?
When you say fit, if you mean fit without a few mods...no.

First thing I see out of the box is the handle bars. The standard Thruxton R clip ons is about as high as you can go to fit under the fairing.

Mirrors and front blinkers could be moved without much problem.

Cables and controls are probably long enough and would work with some tucking.

I have fitted the Triumph and my own fairing..it can be done but will trade off the comfort.

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Anyone think the Thruxton fairing would fit the Speed Twin?
When you say fit, if you mean fit without a few mods...no.

First thing I see out of the box is the handle bars. The standard Thruxton R clip ons is about as high as you can go to fit under the fairing.

Mirrors and front blinkers could be moved without much problem.

Cables and controls are probably long enough and would work with some tucking.

I have fitted the Triumph and my own fairing..it can be done but will trade off the comfort.
I figured it would need some mods, just a question of what exactly I guess. I’d change the bars with the fairing so that I’d lean in a bit more on the bike.

When you say trade off the comfort, what are you referring to?

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I figured it would need some mods, just a question of what exactly I guess. I’d change the bars with the fairing so that I’d lean in a bit more on the bike.

When you say trade off the comfort, what are you referring to?
At almost 66 years old I am probably more sensitive to the strain on the hands. That being said I moved my clip ons down another couple of inches to fit my full fairing, see below.

Now this fairing is coming back off right after Bonneville, and the regular clip ons and the Triumph fairing is going back on. The regular Thruxton R is good for about 200 miles for me.

I expect I could double that distance on a standard Speed Twin.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yessss. I’ve been waiting for them to lost the Speed as compatible. Should help at least a bit. Thanks for the heads up!
Try gripping the tank more with your knees and steering with your feet. Try and get your core muscles to take weight off your wrists.
Costs nothing. Hopefully you’ll get some relief but it might just be something you’ll have to endure.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Try gripping the tank more with your knees and steering with your feet. Try and get your core muscles to take weight off your wrists.
Costs nothing. Hopefully you’ll get some relief but it might just be something you’ll have to endure.
I definitely do that when I remember. Usually when I’m just cruising at low speeds or flying around the twisties.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just installed the Tec adjustable foot pegs. The amount of adjustment is good and comes in 2 different areas on the pegs. Haven’t ridden on them yet but the quality seems ok. I’ll report back after some time on the road.
I have them. Make sure to adjust your brake pedal and shifter height to match if you drop them or raise them at all. Plenty of adjustability.

Only gripe I kind of have is the brake pedal is so narrow that you have to almost get the inside of your foot on top of the mounting point to hit it. Other than that it's about a 20mm drop which is nice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have them. Make sure to adjust your brake pedal and shifter height to match if you drop them or raise them at all. Plenty of adjustability.

Only gripe I kind of have is the brake pedal is so narrow that you have to almost get the inside of your foot on top of the mounting point to hit it. Other than that it's about a 20mm drop which is nice :)
Good call. I’ve settled on same height as stock just further back for now. Thing I love is I can pull off into a parking lot and adjust them in under 5 minutes if I want to try something different.

Thing I don’t love is how the adjustable lever adds a space between the bike and the actual peg. That’s been throwing me off a bit.

I might try them forward just for the hell of it. Back is nice though because now I’m more towards the middle of my foot instead of the ball. Much more relaxed that way, and if I hit the twisties I can still rest on the ball for more balance if I want

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
It’ll be ugly. But as an cheaper solution for the seat, I have ordered an Airhawk Dual Sport seat cushion. I will report back in a few days with results.

The other thing I’m thinking about are some tank grips. Like the Stompgrip Rally or Universal grips. The standard triumph bulky rubber triumph ones aren’t gonna work with the graphics but I’d still like some extra grip.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It’ll be ugly. But as an cheaper solution for the seat, I have ordered an Airhawk Dual Sport seat cushion. I will report back in a few days with results.

The other thing I’m thinking about are some tank grips. Like the Stompgrip Rally or Universal grips. The standard triumph bulky rubber triumph ones aren’t gonna work with the graphics but I’d still like some extra grip.
I might get an Airhawk as well. The stock seat is brutal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I might get an Airhawk as well. The stock seat is brutal.

I basically ordered it cause I might have a work trip while my spouse needs the car. I’m not sure my rear can handle 5 hours in the stock configuration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
905 Posts
So after 4 adjustments I got the pegs dialed in. Feels great to have a tiny bit more leg room. Money well spent. I still want those beautiful rearsets from Sato Racing but the price is just too steep at the moment. It seems like all of the things I want to do at this point cost around $500 or more. Time to start saving!

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I was poking around this thread and checked out the Tec tail tidy...

What I noticed was this:

https://isteam.wsimg.com/ip/e8eb1da0-d6f0-11e4-8094-14feb5d9e2d6/ols/1035_original/:/rs=w:600,h:600

The bike in the picture has the US spec turn signals/stop/taillight, but instead of the cover over the middle light (like I've seen on the US spec bike), it actually has the light.... Anyone have an idea on how I could get that done once I have this bike in my hands?
Actually, those turn signals are smaller than those that come on the US model bikes. Those look more like the Euro spec Thruxton turn signals, which would make sense paired with the Euro spec tail light.

Though if you're looking to convert to the euro spec kit, here are the part numbers:

A9838031 - Front turn signals
A9838043 - Rear turn signals
T2701236 - Taillight

141 - 160 of 382 Posts