Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah it’s the sport boots with tapered heels and solid heel protection that’s the issue with this side stand, add rain and it’s virtually impossible.
I’m glad you said temporary but for now it’s working for you.
Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Installed the "Free Spirits" tail tidy on my Speed Twin and very happy with it.

https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/free-spirits-speed-twin-short-cut-license-plate-bracket-tail-tidy-kit/

A couple of things to note: Make sure you have a metric set of hex wrenches, and you'll also need a torx wrench to disassemble the license light that you'll re-use with the new bracket. Wish I had known that in advance, but there's no mention of it in the instructions, so I was half-way through taking everything apart before realizing that I needed to make a trip to the hardware store to buy tools.

Also, while the installation instructions include photos, I still found them a little confusing, and the parts in the photos didn't look exactly like the parts I received, presumably because the kit is made in Italy and there are different styles for Euro vs. U.S. market. Still, I was able to muddle my way through, and in the end I think it's a massive improvement over that long Triumph factory bracket. The Free Spirits kit also gives you the option of installing the original red reflectors that come on the Triumph bracket, although I left them off, for now anyway, because it looks a lot cleaner without, albeit probably not as safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just ordered Triumphs TPMS off of Amazon for $140. Part number matched the part used in the confugrator found on Triumphs website. Does this need a software update to function or will the bike simply find it once it’s been connected/turned on?

Edit: yes, it looks like it needs to be setup by Triumph.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ordered Motone tank and knee pads today. Also ordered a new headlight that has integrated blinkers along with a FEK that was made for the Thruxton. Hopefully that will fit the Speed. Lots of other little things coming too. Bike should look very different in about a weeks time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ordered Motone tank and knee pads today. Also ordered a new headlight that has integrated blinkers along with a FEK that was made for the Thruxton. Hopefully that will fit the Speed. Lots of other little things coming too. Bike should look very different in about a weeks time.
Would love to see photos of the tank pads installed on a Speed Twin. I can't find one anywhere online. I had tank pads installed on my old silver Bonneville, but the tank on the red Speed Twin has that horizontal line that runs along it, so tank pads would break that up and perhaps not look as good. Hmmmmm ....

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Would love to see photos of the tank pads installed on a Speed Twin. I can't find one anywhere online. I had tank pads installed on my old silver Bonneville, but the tank on the red Speed Twin has that horizontal line that runs along it, so tank pads would break that up and perhaps not look as good. Hmmmmm ....
I thought the same thing. I had the tank pads on my T100 and Scrambler, and loved ‘em. But when I held a set of OEM tank pads up to the Speed Twin tank, the horizontal lines of the paint scheme killed it for me. Tossed ‘em back into the parts bin.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yea I thought about too but I’m going to give it a shot. If it doesn’t look good I’ll save them for whatever my wife ends up getting.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There’s a part of me that really wants to install the Tec cam, but then there’s also another side of me that’s happy with the current performance of the bike. That second side is the same one that fears the wifey. I guess I’m just not sure how much better it’s really going to be. I also had a bad experience with my last cam upgrade so I’m a little weary of the whole thing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
@Hybrid81

Wait for the warranty?

I’ve got a much smaller update this weekend I got some bobbins for my new bike stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yea, waiting for warranty is probably the right thing to do. Thing is I have a bad habit of doing the wrong thing. Time will tell. As for tomorrow, DNA air filter, snorkel removal, Tec Shocks and adjustable levers, and a New Bonneville gas cap. Should be a good day and change the overall look quite a bit.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yea, waiting for warranty is probably the right thing to do. Thing is I have a bad habit of doing the wrong thing. Time will tell. As for tomorrow, DNA air filter, snorkel removal, Tec Shocks and adjustable levers, and a New Bonneville gas cap. Should be a good day and change the overall look quite a bit.
Interested in the tec adjustable levers..... a pic fitted would be nice. I’m thinking of the tec progressive springs for the front just to take away the little harshness over bumps. Overall I like the suspension,and the chassis is great when flip flopping from corner to corner,it’s just the roads around me are fairly rough in parts.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Interested in the tec adjustable levers..... a pic fitted would be nice. I’m thinking of the tec progressive springs for the front just to take away the little harshness over bumps. Overall I like the suspension,and the chassis is great when flip flopping from corner to corner,it’s just the roads around me are fairly rough in parts.
I didn’t see the adjustable springs for the front available. Had front and rear on the Street Twin and they were great. Not a huge upgrade but noticeable over bumps for sure. I also like the blacked out look of the rear spring. I’ll post some picks when everything is finished.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As for modifications....

Done:
Vance & Hines silencers
Motion x-pipe (decat)
heated grips
Quad Lock bar mount phone holder for GPS

Planned:
Dart Classic flyscreen in midnight black (ordered and shipped)
Remove the US spec taillight/turn signal kit. Rizoma Club S for rear and Club L for the fronts
How did the decat go? Did it get rid of the low speed throttle snatchiness? Did you add a PCV?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
How did the decat go? Did it get rid of the low speed throttle snatchiness? Did you add a PCV?
The de-cat went as expected; doing it alone. Would have certainly been helpful to have a second set of hands, though still doable if by yourself. I've never experienced the low speed throttle snatchiness with my Speed Twin, so wasn't really applicable to my situation. As for the PCV, my dealer as well as a trained Triumph tech that I know personally have told me, slip-ons and de-cat don't require a PCV, but if I decide to go with airbox removal an air pod filters, that's when a PCV would be recommended. I haven't had the bike dyno'd, but with my style of riding and how it's performing, I'm fine leaving it the way it is for now.

Regarding low speed snatchiness...some have said adding a booster plug resolved their issue, though I would have to agree with jsobell as explained in his post here:

https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-technical-talk/954562-2016-thruxton-booster-plug-heads-up.html#post2003949808

81 - 100 of 382 Posts