Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

321 - 340 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Out of interest what are Corbin charging people that get a gunfighter and have some changes made.
It cost no extra to have changes made. I had the seating position brought forward slightly, had the pillion seat lowered so less of a 'step' up, and had the shape at the rear of the seat changed so looks more streamlined to go with the bike. Pictures below.

I see you're in Australia. Like me, as I'm in NZ, you won't be able to deal with Corbin directly at all. I bought mine via the Australian distributor Select Edge Motorcycle Accessories . I can't rate these guys highly enough to deal with, excellent prompt communication all the way and they went way out of their way to make sure all the changes I wanted happened - including exchanging drawings and even sending photos of the seat from Corbin while they were making it to make sure I was 100% happy before the cover went on. Corbin seats are premium quality and the service from them and the Australian distributor was premium also.

Can't wait until New Zealand's full lock down is over so I can put some more miles on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
tell us more about the reverse shift pattern- - how you do that ?
... commonly done on race bikes by preference, it's just a matter of getting the shift shaft to spin in the opposite direction when shifting... usually just by reconnecting the levers... but, looks difficult with the stock Speed Twin, I was thinking of using the Thruxton setup and rigging something up to work... looks like no aftermarket has got on the task yet!

Reverse shift pattern is good because you can then push down on the lever for upshifts making it a little easier to restle the bike when accelerating... or if you happen to be in too low of a gear in a turn (just push down... rather than having to put your foot under)... much nicer on all my bikes IMO... I hear it used to be the standard with old old Triumph when the shifting was done on the right side of the bike...

·
Registered
36 Posts

Turning that economic stimulus into my new exhaust. BC Preadator Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice, good to support BC in these tough times too, love my preds. Have you done the decat also? I bought the quiet inserts for the preds for when I did the decat in case was too loud - never used them, tone and volume is spot on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
@SPD02 ; I have the X-pipe, since I got the kit. Between the two sales going on it was basically free. But it’s a much bigger job to install, as I understand, so I haven’t yet. I’m worried about the X-pipe being too loud. (Don’t wanna be that neighbor) You wouldn’t happen to have a reading in decibels for your bike with the X-pipe?

·
Registered
36 Posts
@SPD02 ; I have the X-pipe, since I got the kit. Between the two sales going on it was basically free. But it’s a much bigger job to install, as I understand, so I haven’t yet. I’m worried about the X-pipe being too loud. (Don’t wanna be that neighbor) You wouldn’t happen to have a reading in decibels for your bike with the X-pipe?
Hi Raven, unfortunately I don't have a db reading for the preds with xpipe. What I can say though is they're not much louder at idle or while putting in and out of the neighborhood, they sound more deeper and 'richer' but not super loud, basically I think they sound like the bike 'should sound'. When out on the road though they sound great, especially the decel. I did the booster plug also and the 'tune' all seems pretty spot on.

There's no getting around the fact that fitting the xpipe is a big job, but not overly difficult if you take your time and step through it. I watched lots of youtube videos on it first to know what I was in for, all went without a hitch, this video was useful
. Actually, if you're in full lock down like we are in New Zealand, I can't think of a better project to have in waiting than fitting an xpipe. Cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
Iv tested mine to Aus standards where it has to be a certain distance from the muffler exit within a certain angle @ 3000rpm. And they came in at 94db (1 below legal here)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just reached 8000km on my speed twin and absolutely love every minute on the bike. Meanwhile I have made the following mods:

• tail tidy;
  • throttle spacers;
  • black flyscreen;
  • black airtake inlet covers;
  • black engine guard;
  • sw motech blaze mounts; and
  • motone radiator cover.
I have a DNA performance filter on the shelf and will try to run without the snorkel once installed. I’m planning on replacing the cat with a crosspipe and adding some BC Predator shorty’s (once these come available and my bank account allows it).

I do have a question related to the OEM exhaust headers. I really like the finish and colour once properly used. However I got some stains from greasy hands which I tried to remove using autosol metal polish. Worked well on the stains but in my opinion the headers have become to ‘shiny’ and it seems the brushed finished is also slightly lost due to the polish. Does anyone have tips how to maintain/retrieve the original finish? (I have added foto's for reference of the finish)

I might also consider wrapping the exhaust headers, any thoughts/ideas on that?

Much appreciated!
5C65C36D-BFFC-4F7C-A228-8156A06DF141.jpeg
1A9B9E2A-9671-4DB7-9976-DF46B4F6A5C7.jpeg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Just reached 8000km on my speed twin and absolutely love every minute on the bike. Meanwhile I have made the following mods:

• tail tidy;
  • throttle spacers;
  • black flyscreen;
  • black airtake inlet covers;
  • black engine guard;
  • sw motech blaze mounts; and
  • motone radiator cover.
I have a DNA performance filter on the shelf and will try to run without the snorkel once installed. I’m planning on replacing the cat with a crosspipe and adding some BC Predator shorty’s (once these come available and my bank account allows it).

I do have a question related to the OEM exhaust headers. I really like the finish and colour once properly used. However I got some stains from greasy hands which I tried to remove using autosol metal polish. Worked well on the stains but in my opinion the headers have become to ‘shiny’ and it seems the brushed finished is also slightly lost due to the polish. Does anyone have tips how to maintain/retrieve the original finish? (I have added foto's for reference of the finish)

I might also consider wrapping the exhaust headers, any thoughts/ideas on that?

Much appreciated! View attachment 723793 View attachment 723794
I believe the shorty are only for the 900 Thruxton or T120s as far as I am aware BC is only still making the regular size pros, which are noticeably smaller than the stock or VH cans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could use sandpaper, fine steel wool, or a Scotchbrite bad to restore the brushed finish. However, it will be difficult to get a uniform grain, so try testing on an inconspicuous spot first, and maybe even practice on some scrap metal beforehand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe the shorty are only for the 900 Thruxton or T120s as far as I am aware BC is only still making the regular size pros, which are noticeably smaller than the stock or VH cans.

I checked in with them and the said they were working on making them for the Speed Twin as well. it got delayed due to the virus.

I really like the look of the shorter cone exhausts but don’t think the finish of Weslake or Cone Engineering is super nice as you can still see the welds.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yeah, new user and all that. Now that we have that out of the way: I was just on BC's site and they do have the pro shorty available for the Thruxton 1200, which should also fit the Speed Twin (unless it doesn't, but half the parts on my bike now I scavenged from the Thruxton since it's still hard to find parts specifically for the Speed)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, new user and all that. Now that we have that out of the way: I was just on BC's site and they do have the pro shorty available for the Thruxton 1200, which should also fit the Speed Twin (unless it doesn't, but half the parts on my bike now I scavenged from the Thruxton since it's still hard to find parts specifically for the Speed)
The finish however is polished to match the Thruxton 1200 headers. I don’t think this will look nice with the brushed look of the speed twin headers

·
Registered
188 Posts
that’s under the standard 1200. If you look under The Thruxton R (closer related to speed twin) There not listed.
not sure what the difference is.
when I spoke to them about the shorty they said it was swing arm clearance.
I did want the short look but I’m glad I got the normal length now as it covers up more of the unsightly (but necessary) parts on the swing arm . Draws the eye away from the axle ends, adjusters And rear sprocket. Having them go close the rear of the bike keeps it proportional. The shortys make it look to stubby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The finish however is polished to match the Thruxton 1200 headers. I don’t think this will look nice with the brushed look of the speed twin headers
That is true, and I didn't even think about that since I didn't like the brushed steel look so I ended up ceracoating the whole thing, which I would do with the BC cans. I'll throw up a picture, which I suppose is custom.

that’s under the standard 1200. If you look under The Thruxton R (closer related to speed twin) There not listed.
not sure what the difference is.
when I spoke to them about the shorty they said it was swing arm clearance.
I did want the short look but I’m glad I got the normal length now as it covers up more of the unsightly (but necessary) parts on the swing arm . Draws the eye away from the axle ends, adjusters And rear sprocket. Having them go close the rear of the bike keeps it proportional. The shortys make it look to stubby.
Yeah, it's under the standard, but the only difference between the 1200 and the R are a rear shock and fork upgrade, brembo brakes, and some minor trim details on the seat and tank. I don't know why they would say there were swingarm clearances between them, it's the same frame and swingarm as far as I can tell

That is a good point on the swingarm, looking at the pictures again I'm a little bit worried about how short the short cans are, but I do want something smaller than stock. Are the regualr predators the same dimensions or did they end up being smaller than stock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just following up on what I said in my last reply and showing off my Speed Twin.

Current Mods:
Dart Screen
Triumph Machined Headlight Bezel
H+B Rear Rack (sorry, ended up somewhat cut off in the picture, and now it's nearly 10pm and too dark to retake it)
Black Intake Covers
R+G exhaust protectors
Powdercoated passenger pegs
Ceracoated header (set #2, because I melted a jacket to set #1, which I had to put on after a random plastic bag in the street melted to my originals). I'm not sure how I feel about the glossy coat, but after messing up one ceramic coat I figured I'll go with it anyway.

Still trying to decide on the slip-on, I could just put the clear coar on the stocks to make them match, but corona money makes me want to just buy and coat something new.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, it's under the standard, but the only difference between the 1200 and the R are a rear shock and fork upgrade, brembo brakes, and some minor trim details on the seat and tank. I don't know why they would say there were swingarm clearances between them, it's the same frame and swingarm as far as I can tell

That is a good point on the swingarm, looking at the pictures again I'm a little bit worried about how short the short cans are, but I do want something smaller than stock. Are the regualr predators the same dimensions or did they end up being smaller than stock?
when they said it would have Swing arm clearance and mount issues that was not between the 1200 and R that was from the t100/120 and a speed twin/all thruxton 1200. not sure why it’s under 1200 only now. Reading the email he also mention the brackets don’t align.
There either under the 1200 by mistake or it’s because of the shorty are polished not brushed and wouldn’t match.

the predator pros are smaller in diameter. They are a little shorter then stock but not much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Just following up on what I said in my last reply and showing off my Speed Twin.

Current Mods:
Dart Screen
Triumph Machined Headlight Bezel
H+B Rear Rack (sorry, ended up somewhat cut off in the picture, and now it's nearly 10pm and too dark to retake it)
Black Intake Covers
R+G exhaust protectors
Powdercoated passenger pegs
Ceracoated header (set #2, because I melted a jacket to set #1, which I had to put on after a random plastic bag in the street melted to my originals). I'm not sure how I feel about the glossy coat, but after messing up one ceramic coat I figured I'll go with it anyway.

Still trying to decide on the slip-on, I could just put the clear coar on the stocks to make them match, but corona money makes me want to just buy and coat something new. View attachment 723897

The measured difference in dimensions doesn’t sound like a lot but I think visually it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The measured difference in dimensions doesn’t sound like a lot but I think visually it makes a big difference.

Huh, I hadn’t actually seen a side by side until now, but you’re right on it being a big difference. The bike really does look much better with slimmer slip-on.

Maybe it was just the thickness and not the length that I wanted changed (this sentence will haunt me forever, but I honestly can’t think of another way to say it).

321 - 340 of 411 Posts