Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
got some pictures ? particularly the wires coming out of center bar bottom and how you ran those down triple clamp area ? thx
This is where the cables go under the handlebar:

And this is how it looks from further away:

And basically it looks just like the stock grip but with a button next to it on the left hand side:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Forgot to mention they just follow the other cables on the left side and then under the tank. But I finally got to upload the video so here you can see in detail how I did it:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
interesting mods for sure as we all like different mods for form + or function as $$$$ or the wifey permits. out of the box the speed twin has a lot of good attributes, but being older even my similar but weaker 2012 cast wheel bonnie was not for me so i opted for a preowned 18 T120 that i am enhancing. i like reading about other models as many things fit many bikes!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rizoma drag bar...

Lowers and shifts hands forward by about 25 mm each way (ends up about half way between grips and levers as stock).

·
Registered
131 Posts
What tailbag are you using? Looks great!
That's a Nelson Rigg "commuter sport"- great bag - clips off and converts to a backpack!
Also available on Amazon and Ebay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for this, I’m gonna try it. I have the grips (and Ducati Spacers) ordered so wish me luck!
I recently add the same spacers and have been pleased with the different feeling of the throttle. I know it’s minor to some, but I do prefer it this way compared to stock. It does makes the transition from stop to go smoother. The”tri” bit they supplied was of no use as the material itself was not strong enough to turn the screws. I ended up buying a replacement at harbor freight which worked with little effort. I have not heard similar comments from others, so maybe I got a dud. It’s a CV-3 if the need comes up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently add the same spacers and have been pleased with the different feeling of the throttle. I know it’s minor to some, but I do prefer it this way compared to stock. It does makes the transition from stop to go smoother. The”tri” bit they supplied was of no use as the material itself was not strong enough to turn the screws. I ended up buying a replacement at harbor freight which worked with little effort. I have not heard similar comments from others, so maybe I got a dud. It’s a CV-3 if the need comes up.
Second thought, this time about the grips; be very careful to confirm the wires on the heated grip throttle side completely follow the groove at bottom from beginning to end and that the wires settle within said groove once the grip is repositioned into the housing. If the wires are not completely in that groove you can cut them as the throttle is used. I’ve read stories of others who have done this to their dismay and cost. Also, be sure the blue markers line up where they should once you get to that step. This ensures the proper slack is available both ways.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Hi, I see you have fitted rim stripes, haven't seen these on a Speed Twin before. Would be great to see a good photo of the whole bike side on to see how they look, if you find time. Perhaps post in the "Speed Twin parts and mods" thread, likely others will appreciate too, cheers.
I’ve got red tape stripes on mine for your reference here.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
looks good! i like everything about the speed twin except the tank graphics not being as nice as a T120 + of course the riding position. 20 years ago + i would be on one, today at 71 YO not so much as a standard or cruiser position suits me better. i even found my traded 2012 base mag wheelers slightly rearsets not so good after 45 min of riding!

·
Registered
43 Posts
C2860738-67CB-4DF2-AEAC-8E143F0EF044.jpeg
@SPD02 here’s a pic where you can see the rims. The back one even has some reflective action going on. This was taken before I added an evotech guard to cover the cat area. Maybe they should call is a chastity plate?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
View attachment 718941 @SPD02 here’s a pic where you can see the rims. The back one even has some reflective action going on. This was taken before I added an evotech guard to cover the cat area. Maybe they should call is a chastity plate?
The silver looks great too. Works well with the fenders. I went with red cause I wanted more red on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see now that either color works for this bike.
I like them both, the red matches the bike, and the silver/white goes with the line on the tank and the silver around the edges of the clocks and cooling fins. My bike is silver so might go down that path, but may try the more modern 'segmented lines' stickers, thanks both for the pics.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here is an after pic of the evotech guard. View attachment 718942
Thank you for sharing the pic. I have the same guard, as well as, engine crash bobbin set, rear lifting spools, and fork protector kit from Evotech awaiting to install. I have installed Evotech parts on my '12 Bonnie SE and '14 STR over the years and have always been happy with the fit and finish. Triumph heated grips and power socket are also onhand pending to be installed. I will likely get to everything within the next couple of weeks.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts