heated grips
grip puppies
tank badge and pads
corbin seat
TEC rack
TEC tail tidy
Ducati throttle spacers
Hepco and Becker C bracket and hard bags
Thanks to Moto and Motor (Northbrook, IL) for assist with seat and lights to cure all the conflicts
Looks great! How do you like the seat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
“Looks great! How do you like the seat?”
Thanks! It’s frigid here (Chicago area). So, the seat doesn’t have many miles yet but it definitely holds me better and it’s comfortable so far. I’ll try to remember to follow up after I get in some longer stretches.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here are some mods on Speedy- Triumph Thruxton matte black screen, Triumph machined bezel, Triumph Euro turn sigs front and back and Euro taillight, Arton guage faces, Triumph Triumph brown barrels grips, black clutch/brake levers

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.27.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.26.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.26.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.26.33 AM.png

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Looks slick! Nice little rich with the grips and gloves matching the seat. How is the comfort on the diamond stitch seat compared to the stock plank?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks
I never road with stock seat. Dealer put that diamond brown seat and vance and hines on showroom floor and thats how I bought it. but they did give me stock seats I have it. I like the feel of the diamond brown seat--its comfy.
I never road more than an hour or so at a time but seems good. If you planned long trips probably better options

·
Registered
29 Posts
I finally gave up and got heated grips. I only have one jacket and it's perforated because for most of the year that's what you'll need in the Bay Area. But my hands always hurt. So in I went and got the OEM heated grips.

First off with why not one of the much cheaper options: They look hideous. Really hideous.

I love them. They're really warm in High and other than the tiny, well integrated, button on the left grip and some cables going in the hole of the handle bar (center bottom, now I know what it's for) there is nothing else. Really clean look. Triumph recommends switching to Low after having them in High to warm them up and it does keep the temperature very well.
I didn't measure just Low but at High it seems to put the grips at 44-53C. The difference is in where you measure, directly on the heaters or not. I wish they had a Mid option but then not sure how useful that is. I was worried not having more levels like some after market options but now I think they're just not that useful. Need to do more testing this week to have better info to share.

Now to the not so straight forward part: Installation. The part you are looking for is A9638135, take a look at that 21 pages manual.
It is involved. You have to remove the tank (You really need to, or at least being able to move it completely backwards), and the headlight. It took me around 3 hours probably making sure I was following all the instructions and the service manual. I'll put a video on how to do it. If you are used to removing the tank you probably can get it done in an hour or so. Will update with a link to the video. I had fun installing them but if you don't want to mess with removing the tank and unplugging a bunch of things just have your dealer do it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I finally gave up and got heated grips. I only have one jacket and it's perforated because for most of the year that's what you'll need in the Bay Area. But my hands always hurt. So in I went and got the OEM heated grips.

First off with why not one of the much cheaper options: They look hideous. Really hideous.

I love them. They're really warm in High and other than the tiny, well integrated, button on the left grip and some cables going in the hole of the handle bar (center bottom, now I know what it's for) there is nothing else. Really clean look. Triumph recommends switching to Low after having them in High to warm them up and it does keep the temperature very well.
I didn't measure just Low but at High it seems to put the grips at 44-53C. The difference is in where you measure, directly on the heaters or not. I wish they had a Mid option but then not sure how useful that is. I was worried not having more levels like some after market options but now I think they're just not that useful. Need to do more testing this week to have better info to share.

Now to the not so straight forward part: Installation. The part you are looking for is A9638135, take a look at that 21 pages manual.
It is involved. You have to remove the tank (You really need to, or at least being able to move it completely backwards), and the headlight. It took me around 3 hours probably making sure I was following all the instructions and the service manual. I'll put a video on how to do it. If you are used to removing the tank you probably can get it done in an hour or so. Will update with a link to the video. I had fun installing them but if you don't want to mess with removing the tank and unplugging a bunch of things just have your dealer do it.
yeah, factory heated cost more but fit and function well. I installed a set on my KTM 1290 and loved the plug and play clean install. I do have a question/concern on the Speed twin grips-- they appear to be same style and size as the stock grips - I sis NOT like the stock grips at all - too skinny in my opinion. I installed grip puppies which helped then installed brown Triumph barell grips and have a winner. I love how they fit your hand and they come in brown or black.
I wish they made heated with the barell option.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't worry at all about the looks of my OEM heated grips, they look fine to be. Truth is I can't see them when I ride, my hand wraps around them. What I want is an effective solution and the OEM heated grips are that..... although I would like a more granual control with maybe 6-8 settings.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone.
Waiting for some parts to arrive for DIY modding: throttle spacers, TEC booster plug, yellow fog light.
Currently running x pipe from TEC, V&H, couple of saddle bags from SW Motech.
Hope to post some photos later when everything is done.

Anyone tried any suspension upgrades? Shocks and steering damper? Not sure about the damper though as I mainly ride in the city.
I know ohlins from Thruxton should fit in the back, however it is the front which bothers me most, especially during braking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah, factory heated cost more but fit and function well. I installed a set on my KTM 1290 and loved the plug and play clean install. I do have a question/concern on the Speed twin grips-- they appear to be same style and size as the stock grips - I sis NOT like the stock grips at all - too skinny in my opinion. I installed grip puppies which helped then installed brown Triumph barell grips and have a winner. I love how they fit your hand and they come in brown or black.
I wish they made heated with the barell option.
They are the same size from what I can see and feel but didn't measure. And also wish they came in brown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Modified a pack rack into a better back rest for mounting the wife. It's quick release too, including the brackets, so I can have it off in about five minutes - which is good because nine times out of ten she's not keen.
Can I ask what rack you modified? I really like the minimalist look of this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can I ask what rack you modified? I really like the minimalist look of this.
It's the Ventura grab handle and L brackets from New Zealand. Here's the link:

I'm fairly sure they are distributed globally. Certainly you can buy them in the UK.

I only modified the L brackets so they are quick release, the overall look of the system did not change. Basically, the front of the 'L brackets' bolt into the inside end of the same thread that the upper shock bolts go into. I basically turned the holes in the L brackets for these bolts into slots - so the bolts can be left in place on the bike and you don't have to remove the rear mudguard (US fender) every time you fit or remove the brackets. I also cut down a thin spanner that just fits between the mudguard and frame to tighten said bolts. As above, the whole system can be fitted or removed in about five minutes and is very solid.

I've also purchased the pack rack that fits into the same L brackets for when carrying a bigger load.

Total cost for the full setup was about $300 NZD (about $200 USD).

Only point to note is the brackets fit reasonably close the the euro style indicators (turn signals to you folk in the States) so if you're bike has the huge US style turn signal / brake / tail light combo things, modifications might be needed to fit.

Happy to add more photos if you have more queries.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone tried any suspension upgrades? Shocks and steering damper? Not sure about the damper though as I mainly ride in the city.
I know ohlins from Thruxton should fit in the back, however it is the front which bothers me most, especially during braking.
I've been following Adam Croll and he's sunk some serious money into his Speed Twin. He's put Ohlins rears in and an Ohlins steering damper. I, too, would like to know how much a fork upgrade improves the bike. A&J has Nitron, Andreani, and Ohlins options for the front fork. Give it a shot and let us know? ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts

got some pictures ? particularly the wires coming out of center bar bottom and how you ran those down triple clamp area ? thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the Ventura grab handle and L brackets from New Zealand. Here's the link:

I'm fairly sure they are distributed globally. Certainly you can buy them in the UK.

I only modified the L brackets so they are quick release, the overall look of the system did not change. Basically, the front of the 'L brackets' bolt into the inside end of the same thread that the upper shock bolts go into. I basically turned the holes in the L brackets for these bolts into slots - so the bolts can be left in place on the bike and you don't have to remove the rear mudguard (US fender) every time you fit or remove the brackets. I also cut down a thin spanner that just fits between the mudguard and frame to tighten said bolts. As above, the whole system can be fitted or removed in about five minutes and is very solid.

I've also purchased the pack rack that fits into the same L brackets for when carrying a bigger load.

Total cost for the full setup was about $300 NZD (about $200 USD).

Only point to note is the brackets fit reasonably close the the euro style indicators (turn signals to you folk in the States) so if you're bike has the huge US style turn signal / brake / tail light combo things, modifications might be needed to fit.

Happy to add more photos if you have more queries.

Cheers
Thanks so much. I can't find them piecemeal stateside. Everyone wants to sell the L-bracket and the big ugly looking pack rack as a kit.

I'll see if I can get just what I want over seas or as a special order.

Also the US spec Speed Twins just have two rear indicators no brake light. Thanks for the info and heads up.

261 - 280 of 323 Posts