Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Speed Twin is great, I love mine! But is not perfect. So let’s all figure out what we need to mod and what we can mod already.

So far, I have seen that TEC Bike Parts has some stuff already. https://shop.tecbikeparts.com/t/new-models

Hepco & Becker have a hard luggage system for pre-order https://www.hepco-shop.de/en/meinbike/triumph/speed-twin-2019

And one of us has dropped their bike off with Corbin to get a seat done. https://youtu.be/ob9iIyGCljE

What do the Speed twin owners need/want? What do you need to pull the trigger if you are waiting?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not going to mess with the exhaust, it sounds just fine to me on standard pipes with cat. I fitted a Dart screen, pulled off the ghastly yellow reflectors from the fork legs, tidied the tail and added auxiliary power socket. 148 miles covered so far and will be out all day tomorrow.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not going to mess with the exhaust, it sounds just fine to me on standard pipes with cat. I fitted a Dart screen, pulled off the ghastly yellow reflectors from the fork legs, tidied the tail and added auxiliary power socket. 148 miles covered so far and will be out all day tomorrow.
I’m more interested in dropping the weight. Between that and potentially new silencers that could be 15 pounds right there. It’ll give me breathing room to get fat.

I also want those adjustable pegs from TEC. I haven’t ridden the bike yet so I might not need them, but I like flexibility and it’ll give me something to tinker with.

On the fence about the tail tidy. Do you have pictures? I had a tail tidy on my ST and the slightest bit of rain left me with a jacket and seat covered in grime.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m more interested in dropping the weight. Between that and potentially new silencers that could be 15 pounds right there. It’ll give me breathing room to get fat.

I also want those adjustable pegs from TEC. I haven’t ridden the bike yet so I might not need them, but I like flexibility and it’ll give me something to tinker with.

On the fence about the tail tidy. Do you have pictures? I had a tail tidy on my ST and the slightest bit of rain left me with a jacket and seat covered in grime.
https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/946574-new-speed-twin-48.html

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted the v&h pipes. But the stock system is growing on me. I burned my cover onto my headers so a full system could interest me but that’s a much lower priority.

I’m also on the fence on a tail tidy. Don’t wanna spend money on it nor do I wanna saw through the stock mount.

I need a new seat though, the stock one is the big negative about the bike. If someone got the Triumph bench seat I’d love to know if it’s better. But mostly I’m waiting for Corbin.

Dart marlin flyscreen, stand bobbins are also on the table.

Luggage would be nice. H&B ones are so expensive, though.

What I have done so far is the TPMS system and machined brake res. I have the Oxford 1 liter tank bag for my gate pass (it’s the old one and the phone pouch is too small for my iPhone.). And two ram mounts. One for my phone and one for my go pro.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any pic of the dart screen on the bike? Presumably you had no issue removing reflectors ( no marks left on forks?)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Not much out there yet. I don't have one yet and am still undecided between it and the Thruxton. I would definitely want a 2-1 system. Tec has one out but I am not crazy how it goes underneath the bike, sounds good though. I am still wondering if the Termi Street Twin pipe would fit, I know the Scrambler exhaust and Zard shorty 2-1 fit the Thruxton so the question would be the distance on the passenger peg mounts. Can someone measure the passenger peg straight to the middle frame exhaust mount?

Tec 2-1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any pic of the dart screen on the bike? Presumably you had no issue removing reflectors ( no marks left on forks?)
Sorry BB, I have no idea how to put up pictures, my computer has no bluetooth for transfer from my mobile. reflectors just pull of, then soften the residue with white spirit and rub with a dry cloth until all is gone. No marks left. If you are on Facebook, I can send pics via messenger.............

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry BB, I have no idea how to put up pictures, my computer has no bluetooth for transfer from my mobile. reflectors just pull of, then soften the residue with white spirit and rub with a dry cloth until all is gone. No marks left. If you are on Facebook, I can send pics via messenger.............
Try emailing the pictures to yourself, then downloading them to your computer. From there you can post them straight to the board using the advanced settings on the message board.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Curious why the flyscreen is not listed as an accessory on Triumph's website. I imagine the Thruxton flyscreen mounting kit should work unless there is something I don't know about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try emailing the pictures to yourself, then downloading them to your computer. From there you can post them straight to the board using the advanced settings on the message board.
Hybrid81, thanks for the above tip. I tried 5 times and got completely lost. I don't do this virtual stuff, can't understand it. It's beyond my tiny brain, it ain't happening.................

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I don't think the little "stinger" extending the license plate is going to provide much protection from the rain/grime to begin with, but IMHO, the tail tidy does clean up the back of the bike quite nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Curious why the flyscreen is not listed as an accessory on Triumph's website. I imagine the Thruxton flyscreen mounting kit should work unless there is something I don't know about.
Other threads, or maybe it was one of the Speed Twin FB pages, have confirmed the Thruxton flyscreen and brackets do work on the Speed Twin.

Example pulled from the FB page:

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
As for modifications....

Done:
Vance & Hines silencers
Motion x-pipe (decat)
heated grips
Quad Lock bar mount phone holder for GPS

Planned:
Dart Classic flyscreen in midnight black (ordered and shipped)
Remove the US spec taillight/turn signal kit. Rizoma Club S for rear and Club L for the fronts

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome, thanks. If i wanted to opt for some cheap generic ones, is this a one-size fits all thing? Or what would I need? I never bothered with stands on my last bike. :)

1 - 20 of 383 Posts