Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Triumph lists 476 lb (216 kg) Wet Weight for the Street Twin and 432 lbs (196kg) for the Speed Twin... The key difference is that they are now listing wet weight for the Street Twin, while the listed weight for the Speed Twin is dry. Prior to that change, with the 2020 models they were listing dry weight for both, and the Street Twin was 2kg more than the Speed; you can google it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How does engine size affect insurance cost especially being a newer rider ?

I'm in B.C. and my Speed Twin cost more to insure than my Africa Twin, same coverage on both, because it's in the top insurance bracket where the AT falls in the middle bracket. Any bike will get you to the accident scene if you ride like an idiot.
Ah yes, interesting. I haven't checked yet. I was considering a Scout Sixty as well with the 1000cc engine but I just don't think I'd like my feet that far in front of me.

Anyway, my point being, I've looked at a bunch of different quotes (NFP Insurance seems the best in Ontario at least) and I've put in 2010 V7, 2011 V7, 2014 V7, 2016 Scout Sixty, 2021 Scout Sixty, 2021 V7, lol, you get my point. I stopped looking at insurance because for M2 it was all expensive regardless of which bike it was. I even tried something like a 600 vulcan and of course it was cheaper but not substantially cheaper.

Scout Sixty was about $40 more per month than the vulcan...the Sixty quote was $196/mth

With that said, ya, I'll check out the diff between the SpeedT and the StreetT...maybe NFP will treat the Speed as a sport bike or something...

R

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Really?

Really??
I'm pretty close to the same size as you (not sure I carry my weight in the same place) and I find the biggest drawback is the foot peg location on the Speed. I don't have a Street my buddy does and it seems a bit more relaxed.
Yes, well like I said, I haven't been able to go to the dealership yet (due to Covid up here...Ontario lockdown) so I can only say what I've watched in the many many videos I've read.

But yes, not sure I'll like my feet way back there.

Having said that I got the Speed and put T120 pegs on it. Go with your heart.
Really??? That sounds very interesting! Was it a hassle or was it just a simple bolt on? How much? Honestly the pegs are a concern to me but I wont know until I sit on the bike but if I can put the T120 pegs on that sounds awesome...I assume you're moving the pegs forward when you put them on and simply just not putting different style pegs...

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Triumph lists 476 lb (216 kg) Wet Weight for the Street Twin and 432 lbs (196kg) for the Speed Twin... The key difference is that they are now listing wet weight for the Street Twin, while the listed weight for the Speed Twin is dry. Prior to that change, with the 2020 models they were listing dry weight for both, and the Street Twin was 2kg more than the Speed; you can google it.
Per the current Triumph web site
regarding the Street Twin
Dry Weight 476 lb (216 kg) Wet Weight
Regarding the Speed Twin
Dry Weight 432 lbs (196kg)
Seems Triumph is a bit ambiguous about the weight of the Street Twin. If 476 lb is wet weight then my statement about a 44lb difference appears to be wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hmm, just read all the posts. Very good point about weight ratios and such, didn't really think of that (although I should have).

I see your point regarding 16 year old in a Corvette vs an Accord (I learned in a Ford Taurus haha), but yes, 100% valid and you are correct. I would not recommend someone learn to drive in a vette.

The only thing is I wouldn't recommend a 16 year old learn on a SpeedT either. Learning the road rules, how other drivers drive, watching out for drivers popping out of side-streets, running stop signs, going thru stop lights...there are all 'skills' people aquire simply by driving on the the road, something a 16 year old doesn't have. So they're learning how to drive and what to look out for and how to pay attention to their surroundings, etc...

Like others have said, both bikes are great, both bikes would be more than I would need to learn on. I guess it just comes down to what I'm more comfortable on, and whether the Speed will be too twitchy or powerful for me to be confident.

I have looked at used bikes, and I understand not dropping a brand new bike, but the price of used bikes are not exactly cheap. Unless I get something like a 1980 kawasaki or something I'm still looking at 6-8K. Which at that point I may as well just get something I actually want.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Rob, I have not seen anything relating to the build quality of the Speed or Street Twins. I am not saying there isn't but since both are built in Thailand I would be a bit surprised if there was.
That sounds very interesting! Was it a hassle or was it just a simple bolt on? How much? Honestly the pegs are a concern to me but I wont know until I sit on the bike but if I can put the T120 pegs on that sounds awesome...I assume you're moving the pegs forward when you put them on and simply just not putting different style pegs...
No hassle what what so ever putting them on just r&r adjust shifter and brake pedal to suite. It moves the foot placement forward and lower than stock. The one thing I don't like is the reduced distance between the foot peg and the peg on the shift lever. It takes getting use to it. I am looking into some sort of solution of extending the shift lever.
Part number for the pegs is A9770145.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For other's interest, I just did some online insurance quotes

2021 Speed Twin: $205‬/mo $2,460‬/yr
2021 Street Twin: $168‬/mo $2,019‬/yr
2019 Street Twin: $167/mo $2,003/yr
2016 Street Twin: $160/mo $1915/yr

So, not sure if that's a good rate or not but between a 5 year old Street Twin and a brand new one there's almost no difference at all. With the Speed obv being the most expensive to insure.

I think the Kawasaki I talked about above was something like $145/mo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Rob, I have not seen anything relating to the build quality of the Speed or Street Twins. I am not saying there isn't but since both are built in Thailand I would be a bit surprised if there was.

No hassle what what so ever putting them on just r&r adjust shifter and brake pedal to suite. It moves the foot placement forward and lower than stock. The one thing I don't like is the reduced distance between the foot peg and the peg on the shift lever. It takes getting use to it. I am looking into some sort of solution of extending the shift lever.
Part number for the pegs is A9770145.
Nice cheap mod! So you're saying even though the foot pegs are moved the distance to the shift leaver isn't changed and since your feet are now at a more relaxed angle it's hard to get them under the shift leaver? -- I would assume it's the same for the brake leaver as well, but I guess since you push down that doesn't bother you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Per the current Triumph web site
regarding the Street Twin
Dry Weight 476 lb (216 kg) Wet Weight
Regarding the Speed Twin
Dry Weight 432 lbs (196kg)
Seems Triumph is a bit ambiguous about the weight of the Street Twin. If 476 lb is wet weight then my statement about a 44lb difference appears to be wrong.
Rest the gasoline, oil and whatever they remove for the "dry" weight figure of the Speed Twin and the Street Twin gets closer to the 198kg I mentioned earlier. Gas is about .7 kg per liter and oil .8 per liter, so it carries about 8.4kg of gas and 3kg of oil, that's already 11.4kg; another 2kg of coolant and whatever else they think shouldn't be there. Speed has a beefier frame, with magnesium covers, allow swingarm and downtubes, the engine block is the same, there is no way the Street Twin is that much heavier.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Nice cheap mod! So you're saying even though the foot pegs are moved the distance to the shift leaver isn't changed and since your feet are now at a more relaxed angle it's hard to get them under the shift leaver? -- I would assume it's the same for the brake leaver as well, but I guess since you push down that doesn't bother you.
That is correct.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Rest the gasoline, oil and whatever they remove for the "dry" weight figure of the Speed Twin and the Street Twin gets closer to the 198kg I mentioned earlier. Gas is about .7 kg per liter and oil .8 per liter, so it carries about 8.4kg of gas and 3kg of oil, that's already 11.4kg; another 2kg of coolant and whatever else they think shouldn't be there. Speed has a beefier frame, with magnesium covers, allow swingarm and downtubes, the engine block is the same, there is no way the Street Twin is that much heavier.
Unfortunately Triumph figures are apples to oranges. So it would seem the weight difference is not that great, however don't forget lighter wheels and lighter engine internals. It is my understanding the Speed Twin engine is lighter than the Thruxton RS due to lighter bits.
AND the Street holds 12 liters of gas as opposed to the Speeds 14.5 liters, that adds to the weight the Speed is carrying.

·
Registered
T120
29 Posts

So, not sure if that's a good rate or not but between a 5 year old Street Twin and a brand new one there's almost no difference at all. With the Speed obv being the most expensive to insure.

That is crazy high, I pay $184 a year, now I feel like I need to check my coverages...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That is crazy high, I pay $184 a year, now I feel like I need to check my coverages...
$184/yr? Are you sure? That seems insanely low. However, I have no clue what car insurance costs in the US...

That's $15/mo! I pay more to insure my snowmobile per month than you pay in motorcycle insurance! lol!!! Really, it's not funny, it's pretty sad.

R

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
245 Posts
I pay right at $200 a month, so $2400 a year for all of my insurance. F-350 pickup truck, motorcycle, and RV. My limits are 100, 300, 100 for the truck and bike, comp and collision of course. It's probably more than I need, but I like having higher limits. The motorcycle alone is probably only about $20 a month so $240 a year. It didn't change much when I added the bike.

Where you live can have a very big impact on how much insurance costs. Right now I'm insured in South Dakota. Back when I was in Louisiana, I was paying about $250 a month and had the state minimum coverage which was 15, 30, 25.

·
Registered
2018 Street Twin
25 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you, first bike - Street or Speed twin. I went with the Street Twin as I was able to save quite a bit under MSRP.. But in hindsight, I should've splurged for the Speed Twin. Extra power, 6th gear, different stance.. I definitely do not regret buying the Street, but think I would've been a little happier with long term ownership of the Speed. Now I'll just have to buy a second bike to make up the difference :LOL:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Rob, here is a visual for you
View attachment 753916
Ah yes, I see what you mean, quite close. At least it looks clean though.

Still deciding between the Street and the Speed...hmm, the sensible and logical side of my brain is telling me Street haha...but it's a tough choice!!!

Luckily I can't even get one (no dealers even have em in my area yet), so I do have time to think this through. Guy said earliest mid to end of May.

R

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Seems really high. I’d expect a 2021 model to be a bit more expensive but $2500 a year is a lot. When I got my 2019 it was about $1200 for full coverage for the year. Now its about $700 including all the goodies like roadside, full injury, theft, etc.

I remember my Buell being around $10 a month in 2016.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Seems really high. I’d expect a 2021 model to be a bit more expensive but $2500 a year is a lot. When I got my 2019 it was about $1200 for full coverage for the year. Now its about $700 including all the goodies like roadside, full injury, theft, etc.

I remember my Buell being around $10 a month in 2016.
I agree. Lesson here is ...don’t move to Ontario, Canada. Lol

·
Registered
'19 Speed Twin
11 Posts
I agree. Lesson here is ...don’t move to Ontario, Canada. Lol
You might be in for a pleasant surprise when you get to talk to actual people at the various insurance companies.

I'm also in the land of high taxes and higher insurance rates. When I came back to riding in '19 I got online quotes from $1700-2800 for a then new Speed Twin. When I talked to the agents at TD the first gentleman raised the quote from their website to $1800. It was still the lowest, so I called back the next day to close the deal. I got a different agent who tweaked my profile and the rate dropped to $1004 for full coverage with all the bells and whistles. So don't take the online quotes as gospel.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts