Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this is going to be seem like a really weird question, but I currently have a 2016 Street Twin and am thinking about trading for a very nice used 2016 Speed Triple with 7000 fewer miles. Obviously, these bikes are on different planets performance wise, but I am worried that the Speed is just too much for the street riding I do. The Street Twin is very friendly and easy to ride, but the suspension sucks and in many ways it's archaic on purpose. As I said, I ride only on the street on as many twisty road I can find, tend to do 100-150 miles at a time and occasionally ride with my wife. I'm just curious to hear some perspectives on this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go test ride one and that will tell you everything you need to know. I rode my SV650 for years before adding the Speed Triple to my stable. On paper it seems intimidating when comparing specs, but on the road tells the true story. The Speed is an easy bike to ride, especially if you just use the low end torque and short shift. I use it for joy rides and commuting 100 miles round trip. I love it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The Speed is not hard to ride, but you really have to be respectful. I've ridden in heavy traffic and open roads...straight and twisties...short distance and long...and it'll handle it all and put a big smile on your face while doing it.

Now...taking the little lady along for 100 miles? I don't think so. She'll hate you if you do. Short rides, maybe ten or twenty miles, might be ok. If riding two-up is a prerequisite for a happy relationship, you need to think about something else.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hell...I'm 280 and it still rides fine. Uh...I did upgrade to Ohlins with custom springs on mine though.
Yeah, I'm 260 myself. I asked because if you're over 180 or so, it seems that upgrading suspension to your weight makes a huge difference. I did ohlins front and back and it's like a new bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm about 5'8 162 lbs. so sounds like the suspension would be fine.
Yeah, you won't have any problems. Although, some have complained it's too stiff at your weight. You should test ride one. In my opinion, it's a great bike for twisty roads. Comfortable and agile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm about 5'8 162 lbs. so sounds like the suspension would be fine.
Yep. You're good. When I ride my bike, it's just like having you AND your wife on yours! :)

Engineers love a guys your weight. The sportier bike will, by design, be a firmer ride than what you're used to. You need that to handle the forces, lean angles, and speeds around some of your friskier corners. Oh...and yours is going to accelerate faster because if it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The speedy is a race horse while the twin is a riding school pony. The extra power of the sp3 will be addictive but you have to treat it with respect until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They are two very very different bikes (I've had a street, speed and two twins)

I couldn't gel with my speed and ended up going back to a faired sports bike. I still own a twin. The street twin is a naked bike that needs to be worked and is meant to be ridden with a bit of gusto. its excellent around town as well as handling open roads nicely too. Weights low down and very easy to handle.

The speed is exceptionally smooth and comfortable, but you'll want to gun it everywhere to enjoy that torque. I was virtually wheeliing it everywhere. I wouldn't describe it as a race horse, more of a bull. You really need to manhandle it around. The Street was a superior naked but I do like a good boot up the arse power wise.

Both are excellent at what they do, you just need to be honest with what you want the bike for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Prior makes a solid point. The ST does have a bit of power, but I find it manageable. Ive not ever had the front end come up on me without me initiating it. I feel the ST is quite forgiving because of the torque, and how it delivers it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts