Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2nd hand Speed Triple 1050 dash and ECU for my streetfightered 1050ST project. Do I need to change the ECU from S3 to ST tune? There's conflicting opinion on the forum, with some people claiming new cams for the Speedie, but for my model years the part numbers are the same, so can I safely assume that the engines are the same internally? I liked the sound of the S3 tune through the Trident stubby...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Terry; they're both v2 and I've run the ST with the new dash and ECU from the Speedie. My question is more about the engines, and whether the Speed Triple tune is compatible with the ST engine. Part numbers for cams etc are the same, so am I safe in inferring that the engines are indeed internally identical and hence I can run the Speedie tune.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
From memory - for the years you mention, the engine internals were the same. The Speed Triple used a different tune because of the different exhaust system.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The 2005 -2006 (and some early 2007) S3s used forged internals (pistons, rods etc). Some of the very first Sprint 1050s also used forged internals however it was hit and miss as to what was in any particular bike. These bikes all used the v1 Keihin ECU and there is some evidence that Triumph were going to allow a much higher redline for these bikes although whether it would have been as high as the 955 Daytona's 11,500 rpm isn't clear. In the end they applied a 10,000rpm redline to all 1050 engines irrespective of internals probably because they knew they would be moving to cast items at some point. v1 Keihin ECUs allow mapping way beyond 10,000 rpm and plenty of people run their bikes with redlines beyond 10,000. The problem is the use of forged internals really was a bit haphazard even in the S3 and it's expensive way to find out when the motor goes bang. Most of this info is courtesy of RaceComp in Adelaide, South Australia. They were were active in racing (for track and dragstrip) and modifying 955s and 1050s. They worked closely with TuneBOY here in Sydney but unfortunately the TuneBOY/TuneECU saga soured a lot of enthusiam and sadly it all faded away.

So, yes you can run v2 Keihin S3 maps in your Sprint ST however you'll have to get an associated S3 instrument cluster otherwise it wont run. Same with Tiger 1050 maps. You'll need the Tiger 1050 cluster with which it was paired at PDI.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, yes you can run v2 Keihin S3 maps in your Sprint ST however you'll have to get an associated S3 instrument cluster otherwise it wont run.
Yep - the ST is currently running with the dash and ECU sourced from the Speed Triple. Thanks for the history, too. Triumph's habit of changing mid-model year, seemingly based on what they had available, has been a little frustrating. Anyway, the upshot is that with your information and the data off the parts fiche, I'll be comfortable running the S3 tune with the low mount stubby the bike will have. Again, many thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts