Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the oil filter on my 2019 Speed Triple and I was wondering if anyone could recommend an alternative to the OEM filter. While replacing the filter, I was repeatedly frustrated by the Triumph oil filter removal tool and it's almost sadistic inability to maintain a strong grip on the oil filter inside my bike. The somewhat deep engine recess that houses the filter made things even more difficult and I ultimately used sand paper, which I wedged inside the oil filter removal tool to get more traction and remove the filter. There must be a better way.

I have been looking at the KN-204 because I already use it on my Bonnie and it has a male wrench attachment that makes it easy to install and remove. However, the K&N website doesn't list it for the '19 Speed Triple and I haven't found it in any type of official Triumph corporate literature or endorsements. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I can use the KN-204 as an alternative on the 2019 Speed Triple or are there any other better options available?

Thanks!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I use Honda filters. Part # 154-RTA-003. Used them for years on several Triumph triples including my 955i Daytona, my '06 1050 S3 and my 1050 Tiger. However, I would advise caution on a 2019 S3 since that model has the revised internals and new oil circuitry that requires a very specific oil filling technique to avoid airlocking. It uses the exact same filter as earlier generations but you may encounter gasps of horror and predictions of calamitous failure from unknowing mechanics when they see a Honda filter, and god forbid, an automotive one at that, on a Triumph.

And on a side note, if you're finding the oil filter removal tool has an 'almost sadistic inability to maintain a strong grip on the oil filter' when undoing it may I suggest whoever has been fitting them has been way overtightening them, a not uncommon error.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

I think there's a bit of irony in having to use a Honda filter in a Triumph motorcycle but whatever works - I'll definitely look into it. With regards to the KN-204, I've been using them for years in my Bonneville and had no idea that the company had a recall for some of the filters produced in 2016. I definitely appreciate the heads up!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have more insight into the technical or qualitative differences between the OEM filters--which are expensive, only available at Triumph dealerships, and seem generally underwhelming--and other available options?

Also if K&N is having problems, who else out there is better or more reliable?

·
Registered
755 Posts
......there's a bit of irony in having to use a Honda filter in a Triumph motorcycle.........
It's not a matter of having to use a Honda filter just that I elect to do so. Triumph has sourced it's filters from various suppliers over the years. A lot (not all) of Honda oil filters are made by one company that has previously made Triumph filters. I noticed this some years ago when we had a Honda CR-V and a comparison of the Honda filter with the Triumph part showed them to be exactly the same apart from the Honda item being about 20mm longer. This is good because it provides greater filtration area and offers slightly more oil capacity, easily accommodated at oil change time. Because it protrudes below the sump more it's easier to access for removal which was your original issue. And though sticking down more than the stock item it's still way less than the exhaust.

This filter has to be one of the most common on the market. I have since found it fits my daughters Mazda2 and our Toyota Alphard. A pack of 10 goes for about $90, a big saving over the Triumph item.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts