Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering what it take to replace the shifter shaft on a 97 speed triple. ( the part where the shifter lever slides on coming out of the trans)

to me it looks like it could be replaced by removing the oil pan possibly but thought i would check on here first.

any help is appreciated.
mike

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,796 Posts
Have you checked out the exploded views on the parts fiche at Bike Bandit? That could help you figure it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i did check those out and found someone on here saying if you pull the clutch basket they thought you could replace it that way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had to split the case when I did mine, But I ran my shifter like that for one season before I replaced mine. Just put som green lock tight on the remaining splines of the shaft and use a nut and bolt threw the shifter lever hole to tighten up lever. Worker out well.
never had any problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to split the case when I did mine, But I ran my shifter like that for one season before I replaced mine. Just put som green lock tight on the remaining splines of the shaft and use a nut and bolt threw the shifter lever hole to tighten up lever. Worker out well.
never had any problems.
really are you sure that is how it has to be done?

·
Registered
422 Posts
First, are you sure you need to replace the shaft? If the problem is sloppiness in the shifter, that can be fixed by changing the bushing in the shifter lever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, are you sure you need to replace the shaft? If the problem is sloppiness in the shifter, that can be fixed by changing the bushing in the shifter lever.
that shaft is broken off about 1/2 the length as stock. Sorry the pictures must not show that real well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
that shaft is broken off about 1/2 the length as stock. Sorry the pictures must not show that real well.
Thats how my shaft was broken off right after the center notch for the bolt to slide threw. I think I still have my briken shaft if you want me to post a pic so you can see what it looks like on the inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats how my shaft was broken off right after the center notch for the bolt to slide threw. I think I still have my briken shaft if you want me to post a pic so you can see what it looks like on the inside.
sure if you will post up the pictures that would be great.

·
Registered
214 Posts
sure if you will post up the pictures that would be great.
I was only able to find the quadrant the pice that hooks to the shaft. A C-clip holds it on with a retaining spring. You could try to get to it from the oil pan or clutch cover taking it off. I just think it will be very hard to align the quadrant gear to the shaft with the spring. Let me know how it work out for you, as I know I will brake a nother shaft on my track bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts