Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2018 Speed Triple RS with 3600 miles. Next service due light is on and has been for the last few times I rode it. It has sat in my garage for 6 weeks and now won't start. Turns over fine and fires up but then immediately cuts out. Tried lots of times, stand up, stand down etc but every time it fires straight away and immediately cuts out. It will rev if I hold throttle open when starting but again it just starts to rev and cuts out. Dash seems ok and everything else is working! Any ideas chaps?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sanity check, how old is the battery? Though if it's starting up fine each time, probably something else. Are the battery lugs tight. Edit: though there is that one recent video on YT, where the guy's bike would start, but then die, and it was a failing battery. Which is kind of weird. I guess it could push enough (low voltage) current for a couple seconds to move the starter, but too low of voltage to properly sustain the electronics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure but it holds 12.7v and turns the bike over fine. I have an oxymiser trickle charger on it at the moment as drained it trying to start it. It fires instantly but then just as instantly cuts out!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sounds more a fuel issue to me as it fires up briefly. Do you have the opportunity to measure the fuel pressure (that should be 3 bars).

Did you try to prime it twice or 3 times and see if the behavior is changing?

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS, 2006 BMW R1200S
170 Posts
If it's in neutral it should run with the stand up or down, as you would know. With my RS, the engine warning light goes out as the engine starts cranking. May seem a silly question, but does your engine light come back on again when the engine stops, implying a fault code you could follow up? I know it does not detect low fuel pressure, as mine would crank but not start when the fuel hose popped off, no warning light. There's no sign of a fuel pressure sensor in the wiring diagrams I have (02-05 955i and 11-15 R/S). Interesting omission, it would be useful at times like this.
I read DEcosse in an old thread explaining that the fuel pump primes when you turn on the ignition, then the ECU turns it back on when it sees crankshaft position sensor (CPS) output. So the fuel pump should run while it is cranking, and yours actually starts, so it's probably not CPS, but I'd check it, and the fuel pressure as advised above.
IanB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts