Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are sales.on this bike? Was it well received?

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not seein any left in the showrooms. Then again our local Triumph dealer only has one Bonnie left and ran out of Thruxton's back in May so..... For what its worth.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Im sure they sold well, but are maybe a little much for street riding. If I personally were looking for a bike set up for track days, like the R, Id buy the Tuono V4 APRC. It is a lot more bike for the same $$.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The R is selling very well from what I understand. Agree though that unless you are a serious track rider, the difference may not be worth it. However, even for street riding I understand the Ohlins feels amazing, just probably a little overkill since the stock suspension on the 11+ is pretty decent.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yep as above, sure it's not a bad bike, but really the extra $$$ are only well spent if you basically live on the track, and for that money the Tuono V4R is a much better buy.

I think that'll be my next bike once they've been proven a little bit and a few have some decent k's on them without issues.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I doubt anyone here is going to have concrete and meaningful sales numbers and the thread title is minor flamebait. Just sayin

·
Registered
469 Posts
I bought one. The extra for the R is not that much. Better braking is always a better thing....suspension, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You have a Street Triple, not a Speed, the Speed R is like a 4k premium. And for that price the APRC is sooo much more bike outta the box.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Speed Triple R has Traction and Wheelie control...it's called my right hand. It has worked perfectly for the last 35 years..:p

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought one. The extra for the R is not that much. Better braking is always a better thing....suspension, to each his own.
Even though mfile2000 seems to own a STR not an S3R, I went for the S3R for exactly this logic. If you price in putting on forged alum wheels, ABS, and aftermarket ohlins then the price works out. I found the ohlins feel to be really confidence inspiring (on the street). I'm totally enjoying the bike on the street (admittedly spirited street riding in the twisties with some A group riders and racers).

I test rode the Tuono and chose the S3R instead...the low down grunt and good "triple feeling" was the main reason. Also I own an inline-4, litre bike which is my track machine, and I decided the tuono was too close to it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's one for sale here in Montreal (Moto Montreal). I personnaly think it's too much money over the standard model which is pretty good out of the box. I hear the upgraded transmission is nice though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Apriia Tuono was the first bike I looked at. I could of bought it as they were side by side in the dealership. I honestly could not get past the stickers and poor fit and finish when compared with the triumph. Yes the Aprilia is faster and has more electronics but for it having better components. I'm sorry but there not even close. Im sure when Aprilia releases there factory version next year it will be substantially more money with the top quality brakes and suspension components the triumph SP3R has. I would love to ride one but owning one is another question.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Apriia Tuono was the first bike I looked at. I could of bought it as they were side by side in the dealership. I honestly could not get past the stickers and poor fit and finish when compared with the triumph. Yes the Aprilia is faster and has more electronics but for it having better components. I'm sorry but there not even close. Im sure when Aprilia releases there factory version next year it will be substantially more money with the top quality brakes and suspension components the triumph SP3R has. I would love to ride one but owning one is another question.
I agree. I test road the Tuono. It was great, but the brakes and Suspension were NOT up to par to the s3r. yes it had more power, and that traction control is BS since i love to wheelie and **** anyways.

oh yeah, i have a ducati and italian maintenance sucks! Also the tuono has a max fuel range of 90miles. HORRIBLE. Fit and finish also seems cheap for some reason. I felt the z1000 was better! Im sure teh ARPC model will be awesome, at 19,000 i bet too.

that being said I love teh s3r for the street. I ride like a hooligan at unsafe speeds with class A riders and have no issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also the SP3R has forged wheels not cast like the Tuono and an upgraded transmission. You also cant negate the fact all the carbon fiber they put on definitely adds a few bucks not to mention HP lol

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
An upgraded transmission, lol. The S3R transmission is the same as a standard transmission on any other bike lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
An upgraded transmission, lol. The S3R transmission is the same as a standard transmission on any other bike lol.
It's a standard transmission with extra dog bones and a lower 6th gear ratio. The transmission is supposed to be less clunky when shifting at high revs. A quick shifter is only 400 bucks and 10 minutes to install. The standard SP3 transmission is not the same.

Here are the exact specifics:

There’s one internal change to the Speed Triple R: the gearbox is almost entirely new, featuring five engagement dogs per gear instead of four, with smaller tolerances, smoother splines for reduced friction and some material and shape changes. Sixth is 3.4 per cent lower too. This is not a Speed Triple R exclusive though, the new box will find its way into all future 1050 triples in order to improve shift action and reduce backlash.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.