Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys. I own a speed triple 1050 2013 SE.
Lately i had a issue with the bike. So you can put the contact on, the dash goes on and when you start the bike the power feels like is going to cut and missfire.
This happened while i was ridding(the engine was breaking and it cut my abs off). The bike was dieing continuosly, engine not working properly, no abs and the dashboard was playing going on and off. I took it to a when the dash board wasn't going on anymore at all, dead, and the mechanic said when he started to pull the relays out, the bike came alive(sticky relay was their diagnostic, cleaned and put back on). After about 200 miles the bike started to do the same things and is doing the same. Any ideas what could be? Any help would be much appreciated.
Forgot to mention that this happened again while i was at work and i left the bike out in rain. But now after about 2 weeks i think should have been dry but is still doing the same thing.
I did go with the battery to a garage and said is perfectly fine. I checked the battery wires and made sure they are tight. My mechanical skills are quite bad but an idea what might be would be lovely.
Thank you very much .
Regards,
Radu

·
Registered
521 Posts
Broken wire in the harness where it passes, and is clamped to, the right side of the headstock or broken solder connection to the contact plate at the bottom of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello guys . I just took the bike from Triumph . The issue was the wires on the left hand side switch . They broke because of the steering and I’ve seen that they are quite tight . Hope this is helping anyone that may have this problem . Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I would like to ask one thing . On their paper check it said that adaption status within limits FAILED . The mechanic told me that the 1st valve is not on normal parameters and it needs to be serviced . Anyone had this issue before ? I did the 12k miles services 1 month ago and they said the valves are in good parameters . I am a bit confused cuz now according to them I should do it again with them . Please help with any infos

·
Registered
873 Posts
But I would like to ask one thing . On their paper check it said that adaption status within limits FAILED . The mechanic told me that the 1st valve is not on normal parameters and it needs to be serviced . Anyone had this issue before ? I did the 12k miles services 1 month ago and they said the valves are in good parameters . I am a bit confused cuz now according to them I should do it again with them . Please help with any infos
It's probably 1st value instead of 1st valve, that would correspond more with the adaption parameters being out of limits.
there's no way if you took it in for an electrical fault they would have checked the valve clearances.
It means the limits of the the fuelling trims have been reached, do you have any modifications on the bike and is it running ok fueling wise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not Good at all with mechanic . That’s what he said that after the diagnostic he could not do a full diagnostic because of that . He said that the first valve is not in the right parameters and the bike is not pulling as it should , this was after the test drive to see if the problem is solved .he said that he can feel a bit of lag on full throttle because of that valve . And I’m sure he said valve because he said that’s a easy mechanic fix and you just need to lift the top engine cover and take measures and adjust the valves . I am so confused now . I’m basically doing it twice in a month and I only did about 100 miles because of the electrical issue . The 12k miles was done somewhere else and in their paper says that it’s alright . Why would the adaptation fail then ? Sorry for stupid questions but I’m trying to Learn a few things

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He said that this can become very bad in 2-3k miles .i don’t think I’ve noticed any fuel differences but I think I can smell the gas a bit more then before .

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm confused now, you can't tell if the valve clearances are out by doing a diagnostic check or by a test ride, and 1st valve doesn't mean anything anyway, you would say exhaust valve number 1 or intake number 2.
Was the 12000 mile service done at Triumph or by an independent, as long as it was somebody you trust to do the job properly there should be no problem with the valves.
Is it possible to photograph the check sheet and post it on here to see exactly what they're saying?
The adaption figures being out of limits could be due to many things, if the bike hasn't been modified then it could be something like a leak somewhere on the inlet or a faulty injector, it's something that's affecting the air/fuel ratio and the ECU is trying to adapt to stay within the required afr in the map and it's reached its limit of adaption.

The adaption and valve clearances are totally different things and not connected, maybe need to double check with them which is the actual problem, I can't believe it's both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with the mecanic i have no ideea Why i understood that is about valves . Yes it is about air/fuel ratio . He told me that during the process of the service again , he will fix this problem . He told me aswell that in 2-3k miles if I keep the bike like this I will see difference in power and this should be fixed ASAP if I care about the bike . I am a bit worried now and I am really thinking to do it as I love this bike a lot.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I spoke with the mecanic i have no ideea Why i understood that is about valves . Yes it is about air/fuel ratio . He told me that during the process of the service again , he will fix this problem . He told me aswell that in 2-3k miles if I keep the bike like this I will see difference in power and this should be fixed ASAP if I care about the bike . I am a bit worried now and I am really thinking to do it as I love this bike a lot.
Yes, that's what I thought all along.
Apart from checking the things that I mentioned already you would need a diagnostic program such as TuneECU to investigate it further, you certainly wouldn't be able to tell if the fault has been corrected without that anyway.
In your case you're probably better leaving it the dealer to sort it out, may be worthwhile having it fixed straight away rather than waiting for the next service, they'll probably charge you either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said my mechanic skills are awful . Do you think this is an easy fix ? Could be something major ?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Fuelling issues can range from very simple to quite complex, it's difficult to guess.
Like I said at the very least you would need TuneECU to view the adaption figures and to see if you have corrected the problem, this is aside from actually finding the fault.
As you have been honest about your relative lack of skills I would take it to an independent with the relevant software or to triumph.
Unless any other 1050 speed triple owners have experience of similar issues and can offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fuelling issues can range from very simple to quite complex, it's difficult to guess.
Like I said at the very least you would need TuneECU to view the adaption figures and to see if you have corrected the problem, this is aside from actually finding the fault.
As you have been honest about your relative lack of skills I would take it to an independent with the relevant software or to triumph.
Unless any other 1050 speed triple owners have experience of similar issues and can offer any suggestions.
Ok so the problem is next. Is this a major issue? is it worth to do it again?
Cuz i've kinda lost my confidence in Triumph after they said the fixed my issue with the electrical problem. Well they have not and yesterday my bike stoped and wouldn't run again. Eventually me and my mate who picked me up started to check things. In front of the battery there is 30A fuse which we did not know about. In the moment i touched the Fuse, the bike came alive and everything works perfect. We cleaned the Fuse and everything around and put some tape on it so water would not reach it again. I am pretty sure that's the issue because when i touched it everything came alive.
So i do not know what to do now as long they said it was a broken wire there and after the mechanic told me that actually was the plug in the Speedometer was not pluged in properly. So should i trust them now? Is this adaptation a major issue that needs to be fixed asap?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok so the problem is next. Is this a major issue? is it worth to do it again?
Cuz i've kinda lost my confidence in Triumph after they said the fixed my issue with the electrical problem. Well they have not and yesterday my bike stoped and wouldn't run again. Eventually me and my mate who picked me up started to check things. In front of the battery there is 30A fuse which we did not know about. In the moment i touched the Fuse, the bike came alive and everything works perfect. We cleaned the Fuse and everything around and put some tape on it so water would not reach it again. I am pretty sure that's the issue because when i touched it everything came alive.
So i do not know what to do now as long they said it was a broken wire there and after the mechanic told me that actually was the plug in the Speedometer was not pluged in properly. So should i trust them now? Is this adaptation a major issue that needs to be fixed asap?
Are you the same guy with a different username?
Usually I'm the last person to recommend going to a Triumph dealer but I only mentioned it as an option because you were very honest about your limited maintenance skills.
The preferred option would be a trusted independent mechanic but they would need diagnostic software such as dealer tool or tune ECU you to access the information.
it does sound as though your Triumph dealer has just guessed at the previous electrical problem and fitted parts hoping it would be fixed, which is the usual method, and is probably what they'd do with the fuelling issue, and charge you accordingly.
Without seeing the actual figures it's hard to say how potentially serious the problem is, it's not unknown for a dealer to exaggerate an issue to get more work.
Another option would be to find a local dyno place, get them to run it up and check the AFR, if they say it's within safe limits then you don't need to worry yet, if it's way out then you need to get it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry but i really forgot to replay.Well i got Tune Ecu and i have reseted the adaptation myself. I am not concerned anymore as the bike runs smooth and found out that the mechanic was not as skilled as i thought.. well anyway that's another story.

One more question if you help me would be awsome. I have seen that my Bike Revs are always playing on idle between 1200 to 1300. Even after the engine warms up. It's jsut a slight play but it's quite frustrating because i thought it should stay somewhere when is on idle. I do know when i first start an cold engine it will rev up until it's reaching the normal temperature but after? Thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts