Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you Speed Triple riders; why should I choose a Speed Triple over a KTM Superduke? I'll be asking the same reverse question on a Superduke forum..

I currently ride a 2008 Tiger 1050. Great comfy, powerful bike that I use for distance rides but would like to have something a little more agile/sporty/fun for day rides in the twisties and the occasional track day. I tried a friends Street Triple the other day and it confirmed the fact that I want a second bike for those reasons. In fact the Street was amazing, but I'm 6'2" with long arms and legs and found the Street to be a little small for me, otherwise I'd buy one and save some cash in the process. So my choice has come down to the Speed Triple or the Superduke. Yes, I will try to test ride both bikes, but I'm just curious to hear owners opinions. The service at my Triumph dealer is amazing, but I've also heard great things about the Superduke and it always has killer reviews... Opinions please...

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
would like to have something a little more agile/sporty/fun for day rides in the twisties and the occasional track day
SuperDuke wins, if agile is what you are looking for. Higher grade suspension on the Duke and the weight is much closer to the ground, so she is much less work on high speed twisties.

Speed is not as nimble as Street or the KTM, but more a top heavy old school ride.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I've ridden both, my brother-in-law has a Super Duke R. Granted, my speedie is older ('00) so not quite the same comparison. The KTM is a riot. It is agile, flickable, hyper-responsive, torquey, and corners like a train on rails. The seat isn't comfortable but in the corners you never notice. My speedie has faster acceleration, but only just. The S3 is marginally more comfortable. I can't imagine riding the SDR for 500 miles. I'd hobble for days if I did. I've ridden my S3 on 500 mile days, and it crippled me too. It comes down to this, the S3 does more. The KTM does less. But what the KTM does, can't be touched by other bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To Devillock

If you're 6'2" you don't need the Street Triple R. My husband is 6' and my Triple is too low for his liking. Not sure about KTM either. They have a new bike out that is REALLY huge, very tall. Guys your size sit on it with tippy toe. I don't know the name of it, but it's new with a lot of White color on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you will love the ktm for a day but you will love the speedie for ever
:thumbsup:
now thats the smartest thing I've yet to hear... lot of sense there.The S3 will age gracefully but the SD will look like *** was I thinking yrs from now... food for thought...

I'm leaning towards the S3 anyway, not because I think one bike is better then the other, they're both killer machines with equally good looks imo, but the fact is I'm not good enough a rider to maximize either of these bikes, so I think it will come down to dealer support and cost. And I also have a soft spot for that inline 3 1050...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am not so sure about the SuperDuke; but the SuperDuke R would get my vote over my Speedie.

Mind you, this is because I ride totally for receational pleasure (no commuting) and with no traffic on twisty, coutry back roads. Most of my blast sessions are about a half-day, and a couple of times a month I will get a good 350 to 450 mile day in. In summary, no touring.

Their are fueling problems with the bike (jerking and abrupt at lower speeds in town); but they can me mitigated with a TuneBoy.

If I commuted or toured on my bike, then there would be no question (I couldn't live with the SuperDuke R); but, given the way I currently use my Speedie, the SuperDuke R would win hands down.

I forgot to look where you live; however, the local dealer in my area has a SuperDuke R for sale, discounted by $3,000 ($11,000).

PM me if you need more info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not so sure about the SuperDuke; but the SuperDuke R would get my vote over my Speedie.

I forgot to look where you live; however, the local dealer in my area has a SuperDuke R for sale, discounted by $3,000 ($11,000).

PM me if you need more info.
Good point about the R version, but I dont think its available here. I'm in Mtl Qc Canada. The SD over here goes for $17000 but is now discounted to $14000(only reason why I'm considering it coz frankly at $17000 I'd rather spend a few thousand more and get a Ducati Streetfighter and blow the hell out of everything... but thats not the case), where as the S3 is a bargain at $12500...

Il try n test ride both this week... unfortunately it will probably mean having to trade in my Tiger, but I dont do enough real touring to justify keeping it, I much pref day rides in the twisties...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't comment on superduke cause never had one but i had an 07 speed triple and that gives a load of grin factor - and the sound when rolling off you'll never get tired of hearing - before that had gsxr 750 and the speed triple handled just as well on roads - Triumph dealers do seem to have that exta something as well.... hope this helps you with your tricky decission...

·
Registered
396 Posts
now thats the smartest thing I've yet to hear... lot of sense there.The S3 will age gracefully but the SD will look like *** was I thinking yrs from now...
Years?! Man, that thing looks dated now. On top of being Rune\Amazonas\Vision ugly, it looks about as timeless as tribal artwork\tattoos.

Good call on going Speed Triple.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tested the SD extensively before buying an 08 S3 with Arrow slipons.

The KTM had much better stock suspension and was more agile. But the vibration was a big bad issue for me. Price was also considerably higher than my $8999 OTD S3 even with local sale price; but you get what you pay for in terms of suspension. I found an 07 with 500 miles for $9500....but the vibration was the only reason I did not buy. Well, that and the single sided swingarm and overall looks of the S3.

The KTM is a very, very good bike. Can't go wrong if you're a KTM fan and/or have good dealer support.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Devellock:
Canadians get totally hosed on mortorcycle prices. I know, I am a Cannuck, living in the US, and working in Toronto about 15 days a month, and I sometimes visit TO's bike shops just to make me feel good about how much cash I've dumped into my bike.

If you really want to save some money, buy the bike in the US and then ride it (import) it back. You'll have to pay GST, but other than that I think you'd be golden.

You can search the following site if this idea interests you:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

·
Registered
523 Posts
I realise this thread was originally asked about the earlier KTM Super Duke but thought I'd share the following.

I have a 955i Daytona, a 1050 Speed Triple and a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT.

The KTM is in a different league, a league I'm not qualified to be in. It makes the Triumphs seem like learner bikes but, for the kind of riding I do it's overkill.

KTM electronic systems will also try the patience of a saint. You have to be very lucky not to fall foul of a myriad of seemingly random errors and apparent failures. When (not if) you start to experience them you'll need a really competent dealer nearby or else you'll do as I had to do and learn more about CANbus systems than you ever imagined.

The bike has 8, yes eight, independent ECUs each communicating with each other via the MCU.

Get it sorted and it is an absolute weapon alas, as already said, too much for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts